Attacker Uses A Popular Tiktok Challenge To Lure Users Into Installing Malicious Package

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
  • A trending TikTok challenge called “Invisible Challenge,” where the person filming it poses naked while using a special video effect called “Invisible Body.” This effect removes the character’s body from the video, making a blurred contour image of it.
  • Attackers post TikTok videos with links to a fake software called “unfilter” that claims to be able to remove TikTok filters on videos shot while the actor was undressed.
  • Instructions to get the “unfilter” software deploy WASP stealer malware hiding inside malicious Python packages.
  • TikTok videos posted by the attacker reached over a million views in just a couple of days.
  • GitHub repo hosting the attacker’s code listed GitHub’s daily trending projects.
  • Over 30,000 members have joined the Discord server created by the attackers so far and this number continues to increase as this attack is ongoing.
How does an attacker gain so much popularity in such a short time? He earned his status as a trending GitHub project by asking every new member on his server to "star" his project.

The high number of users tempted to join this Discord server and potentially install this malware is concerning.

The level of manipulation used by software supply chain attackers is increasing as attackers become increasingly clever.

It seems this attack is ongoing, and whenever the security team at Python deletes his packages, he quickly improvises and creates a new identity or simply uses a different name.

These attacks demonstrate again that cyber attackers have started to focus their attention on the open-source package ecosystem; We believe this trend will only accelerate in 2023.
As we see more and more different attacks, it is critical to expedite the flow of information on these attacks across all parties involved (package registries, security researchers, developers) to protect the open-source ecosystem against those threats.

TedCruz

Level 5
Aug 19, 2022
Hackers are exploiting TikTok’s “Invisible Body Challenge” to spread malware that can steal passwords and credit-card details.

A trending challenge on TikTok is encouraging users to film themselves naked, and then use TikTok’s “Invisible Body” filter to replace their body with a blurry background.

The hackers are exploiting this trend by posting videos that offer to remove the filter, tricking people into thinking they will see the naked bodies instead. However, all they will really get in return is a piece of malware that can be used to steal Discord accounts, as first discovered by security firm Checkmarx.

Victims are encouraged to download a piece of software that will supposedly remove the filter. However, the software is fake and all they actually get is a piece of malware called "WASP Stealer (Discord Token Grabber)", which is used to harvest Discord account details, stored credit cards, passwords, cryptocurrency wallets and other computer files, according to security firm CyberSmart.

Personal Input: I wonder what are the demographics on those affected? I would bet my pension that majority of the infected users are males. :)

Reminds my graduate years in college where I might or might not have used my photonics lab non-linear optics setup to remove the shower window distortion from a bathroom window.

Reactions: Jack

TedCruz

Level 5
Aug 19, 2022
Tiktok's user base probably exists as the antithesis of those who care about security.
I don't think they would mind if I told them this.
Yeah but you know there is a very small probability that one of those filter removal things are real! I mean, I haven't been infected in over a decade so I know that I won't be infected now! /sarcasm

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.