Attention All You Adblocking Experts, See If Your Ad Blocker Can Get Past This Anti-Ad Blocking Site

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
Well, ublock worked for me :p So AdGuard is not the only one
Here's uBlock with all anti-adblocking filters turned on. What filters are you using? Remember, ya' gotta scroll down to activate their anti-adblocking.
Screenshot 2017-04-28 at 3.52.21 PM.png

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I found out these sites detect adblock/ublock origin when you enable easylist(which everyone does). I used MVPS and Peter Lowe's list and disabled easylist and this site didn't detect adblock! Granted easylist is more effective than other adblock lists.

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
I found out these sites detect adblock/ublock origin when you enable easylist(which everyone does). I used MVPS and Peter Lowe's list and disabled easylist and this site didn't detect adblock! Granted easylist is more effective than other adblock lists.
GOOD JOB!
This works on Forbes.com and Businessinsider.com, as well.
Blockzilla List by itself also works.

Last edited:

Nuno

Level 2
Verified
Feb 26, 2016
GOOD JOB!
This works on Forbes.com and Businessinsider.com, as well.
Blockzilla List by itself also works.
I have easylist turned on and I get no popup. Tried going all the way up and down on the page several times on 2 different days and clicking on stuff in the website and I never got it.
I have:
General: uBlock Filters, Badware Risks, Privacy and Unbreak
Ads: EasyList
Privacy: EasyPrivacy
Malicious Domains: Malware Domain List, Malware Domains
Multi-Purpose: Peter Lowe's Ad ad tracking server list
Custom: Adguard English Filter, Adguard Mobile Ads Filter, Adguard Social Media Filter, Adguard Spanish/Portuguese Filter, Adguard Spyware Filter, Adguard Annoyances Filter, Block all well known privacy trackers, Block-EU-Cookie-#####-List, Fanboy's Cookiemonster List, Hexxium Creations Threat List, Nopelist, Subscription, that block sites with skimming scripts, uBlock Supplementary Blocklist - General Filters

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Interesting thing, I just disabled all my custom uBlock filters and restarted firefox and I still get no popup to disable my adblocker. I'm still trying to figure what's blocking it.
Are you using Firefox? I just tested airplane link on Firefox Nightly and no popup even with easylist enabled.

Try testing on this link: BlockAdblock | Stop Losing Ad Revenue
Note that it'll take a few seconds before you get popup. Or you can click on any link on that site.

Nuno

Level 2
Verified
Feb 26, 2016
Are you using Firefox? I just tested airplane link on Firefox Nightly and no popup even with easylist enabled.

Try testing on this link: BlockAdblock | Stop Losing Ad Revenue
Note that it'll take a few seconds before you get popup. Or you can click on any link on that site.

Exactly, I get no ads or popups in the airplane one. That BlockAdblock does give me a popup in firefox with uBlock on.
xef0fNG.png

However, I just tested BlockAdblock in my Chrome, where I don't have and never had an adblocker installed... and it still says it picked up I'm using an ad blocker, I get the same message there. BlockAdblock seems to be lying a bit to their customers....

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Exactly, I get no ads or popups in the airplane one. That BlockAdblock does give me a popup in firefox with uBlock on.
xef0fNG.png

However, I just tested BlockAdblock in my Chrome, where I don't have and never had an adblocker installed... and it still says it picked up I'm using an ad blocker, I get the same message there. BlockAdblock seems to be lying a bit to their customers....
I disabled easylist on Opera and blockadblock doesn't show any popup. On Chrome, even after I disabled ublock origin, it showed popup. But after restarting the browser(I was in incognito mode), it didn't show any popup.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
xef0fNG.png

I tested on Internet Explorer and you're right. It is lying. I restored my hosts files(I only use hostsman for testing and retore the original hosts after testing is done). Well, my anti adblock test site is a scam lol.

Nuno

Level 2
Verified
Feb 26, 2016
I tested on Internet Explorer and you're right. It is lying. I restored my hosts files(I only use hostsman for testing and retore the original hosts after testing is done). Well, my anti adblock test site is a scam lol.
It's very weird, now I stopped getting the popup in Chrome. I thought it might have been Mcafee WebAdvisor being detected as an ad blocker or something but nope!
I ran some tests and popup stopped appearing, so I deleted my browser's cookies and opened block adblock again. And now it gives me the message again. So it probably stores some cookie after the message appears for the first time that avoids it to appear in the future!

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
It's very weird, now I stopped getting the popup in Chrome. I thought it might have been Mcafee WebAdvisor being detected as an ad blocker or something but nope!
I ran some tests and popup stopped appearing, so I deleted my browser's cookies and opened block adblock again. And now it gives me the message again. So it probably stores some cookie after the message appears for the first time that avoids it to appear in the future!
Yes, that may be the trick. I think I may have to find another anti adblock test site now.

Danielx64

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
xef0fNG.png

I got adguard installed and turned on and haven't been hit on that site. Am I just plain lucky?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.