Auslogics Registry cleaner is detected as malware application!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Hi just downloaded Auslogics Registry cleaner 4th time from the legal website, but my ESET detects it as potentially unsafe? Its also been detected as virus over on demand scan by ESET itself, but its safe says malwarebytes. So what should i do? Should i keep or delete?

Y

yigido

I think there is an adware in the installer ? What is detection name :D

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
If you could show us the name of the detection, it would be easier to determine. But surely it's a PUP warning, Auslogics don't make viruses.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Hi just downloaded Auslogics Registry cleaner 4th time from the legal website, but my ESET detects it as potentially unsafe? Its also been detected as virus over on demand scan by ESET itself, but its safe says malwarebytes. So what should i do? Should i keep or delete?
registry-cleaner-setup.exe a variant of Win32/OpenCandy.A potentially unsafe application Threat was detected upon access to web by the application
It offers OpenCandy toolbar to install, that's why ESET detects it

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
it says C:\Users\Purshotham\Downloads\registry-cleaner-setup.exe a variant of Win32/OpenCandy.A potentially unsafe application ,

Reactions: yigido

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
it says C:\Users\Purshotham\Downloads\registry-cleaner-setup.exe a variant of Win32/OpenCandy.A potentially unsafe application ,
This program is advertising supported and may offer to install third party programs that are not required for the program to run.
These may include a toolbar, changing your homepage, default search engine or other third party programs.
Please watch the installation carefully to opt out.

Reactions: yigido

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
This program is advertising supported and may offer to install third party programs that are not required for the program to run.
These may include a toolbar, changing your homepage, default search engine or other third party programs.
Please watch the installation carefully to opt out.
i ignored the msg and installed, but no signs of open candy toolbar, so is it hiding or what?, evn no check thing to install the toolbar during installation process.

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
So probably you're clean. Many such optional bundles simply don't fire up for some reason, I assume it's something like region, for example, only offering to install in Europe and North America.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
i ignored the msg and installed, but no signs of open candy toolbar, so is it hiding or what?, evn no check thing to install the toolbar during installation process.
If it's installed you will notice :)

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
opps i was wrong i tried running the installer again , while accepting for licence agreement the page is filled with both auslogics and opencandy agreements in which we must forcefully accept it without making any changed , can any one help me checking to it and confirm whether to install or not ??
I tried to upload the images but MT is not accepting it.

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
Opencandy installer in Auslogics registry/defrag are buggy. Sometimes they pop up and sometimes they don't. But the installer only pops up after main program is installed. So if you don't see any prompt after installing the registry cleaner you need not worry. If it pops up then just decline.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Opencandy installer in Auslogics registry/defrag are buggy. Sometimes they pop up and sometimes they don't. But the installer only pops up after main program is installed. So if you don't see any prompt after installing the registry cleaner you need not worry. If it pops up then just decline.
Thank u for ur reply, Well Decline in what way? Uninstall the app?

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
No, when (if) it asks "Do you want to install the wonderful OpenCandy?", you just click "Decline", or "No".

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Thank u for ur reply, Well Decline in what way? Uninstall the app?
When this page opens
200z7nq.jpg

click Custom Installation and uncheck "Install Smileys We Love" box... then click next

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Edit: @BoraMurdar beat me by a few moments. :p

OpenCandy is seem here as part of License Agreement, you have to Agree to Continue. This will not install OpenCandy sponsored software.

upload_2014-1-29_17-59-59.png

After Auslogics Registry Cleaner is installed, you will see the OpenCandy part.

upload_2014-1-29_18-1-30.png

Here you must choose Custom and then uncheck any pre-selected boxes. See image below.

upload_2014-1-29_18-2-0.png

Any OpenCandy sponsored software should not be installed.

On the other-hand, if you hadn't chosen Custom / Unchecked the boxes, you'd notice a spawn of new processes running.
upload_2014-1-29_18-6-34.png

And a new tray icon of the unwanted software, ie. Search Protect.

upload_2014-1-29_18-7-14.png

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
well when i ran the installer my eset product detected open candy installer and gave an option for cleaning, i cleaned after that auslogics installer came along with that the licence agreement of both, i continued, after insaller completes nothing more happened , no open caandy installer appera as u mentioned Earth, i guess eset has removed the installer of open candy . Any way thank u for all of u.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
well when i ran the installer my eset product detected open candy installer and gave an option for cleaning, i cleaned after that auslogics installer came along with that the licence agreement of both, i continued, after insaller completes nothing more happened , no open caandy installer appera as u mentioned Earth, i guess eset has removed the installer of open candy . Any way thank u for all of u.
Something to prevent this is Unchecky:
http://www.unchecky.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.