Aussies' 'perceived invincibility' on public Wi-Fi putting them at risk, suggests survey

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
In Melbourne at the end of last year the Victorian government switched on Wi-Fi at the city’s major visitor sites and train stations, following full coverage being given to Bendigo and Ballarat. In Sydney Wi-Fi can, since January, be found on buses, and even the beach. Brisbane City Council has provided access across its parks and public spaces for a number of years (now being ‘copied’ in Cairns), while the network in Canberra continues to grow.

Private firms are increasing their provision of free Wi-Fi too. Customers can get internet access at every McDonalds across the country, as well as Westfield shopping centres, hospitals, care homes and since April, on select Virgin Australia and Qantas flights.

While hugely convenient and cost-effective for Australian consumers, many are putting their personal information at risk when using public Wi-Fi networks, according to a survey by Norton.

The 2017 Norton Wi-Fi Risk Report, released today, suggest Aussies are ‘big risk takers’ when using public Wi-Fi and highlights a concerning lack of security savvy among consumers accessing free networks.

The report surveyed more than 1,000 Australians to learn about their public Wi-Fi practices and perceptions.

Full Article. Aussies' 'perceived invincibility' on public Wi-Fi putting them at risk, suggests survey

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Thanks for that @frogboy, a nice reminder that we should be more aware of our private data when out and about. I didn't realise the importance of this until i became a member of MT and just thought, yayyy free wifi, now i don't even connect to them anymore when i'm out.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.