Privacy News Australian ISP's Forced To Block Torrent Sites

Bryan Lam

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2015
Australian Federal Court Blocks Torrenting Website

As it veers close to the end of 2016, torrenting of items such as software and movies has risen. This means companies and film producers have to step up their game to stop such things.

2000px-The_Pirate_Bay_logo_bw.svg.png
" Australian ISPs including Telstra, Optus, TPG, M2, Dodo and iiNet have to comply with the court order within 15 days. ISPs can use DNS blocking, IP address blocking, URL blocking or any other technical method (so long as the rights holders are happy with it) to do this but Foxtel and Village Roadshow will be footing the bill; they will have to pay $50 to the ISPs for every domain that is blocked. They also have to pay the ISPs' legal costs."

There is still a downside though, even though torrenting sites and torrents are used for piracy, most torrent sites have legit (Non Copyrighted) content. Also, whenever a new website would like to be added to the block-list it must pass federal court.

"The experience overseas is not many people use VPNs because they cost money as well. [A torrent website user would] still face the issue of dealing with viruses, scams and a pretty terrible, terrible neighbourhood so I think that should factor, but I think also when we explain to people that it's not a victimless crime, that other people lose their jobs, I think that will have an impact. So I don't see that as significant. I think we can address that."

VPN's are a great way to get through these blocks, because in reality the only way you can take down a website is by getting rid of it's domain. Blocking a site simply doesn't work as it is too simple but for most people in Australia, this is the end of torrenting.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

In my country ISP's don't care, yet, about clients visiting torrent sites and downloading copyrighted stuff, but i do know the fact, that we had many torrent sites some 5+/- years ago, but it all changed when our country hosting companies closed them. Now we have none. Same should be everywhere, closing pirating torrent sites, not "fight" with the clients by ISP's blocking access to them. Method was very successful, atleast in my country.

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Hello In my opinion the new movies and music should have 5 years or so to sell their product,and then it should be free for everyone to dowload this material,without being a criminal,:eek:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Yes the area can also be a place to download free and none copyrighted products (no violations) However the damage is already done, its been abused from both sides.

Although nowadays you cannot really stop piracy cause money is always involved in order to change the deciding scenario.

Reactions: Venustus and Svoll

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
If people want to use torrenting sites, they're going to use torrenting sites whether their ISP wants them to or not. People will find (very simple) ways around the blocking if they are determined or they will just find other ways to get the things they want.

paapicholoo

Dec 19, 2016
"The experience overseas is not many people use VPNs because they cost money as well.
I was looking for a VPN but I found a deal here: Hot Deals - Ivacy VPN Christmas Sale - 86% OFF on 2 Year Plan - $39.95 Only you have to pay just $1.66/mo. Those who are addicted for torrenting will gonna grab this deal.
The another VPN deal I have found is offered by PureVPN: https://www.purevpn.com/christmas-special-deal they have really wide range of P2P allowed servers

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
Most Linux distributions can be legally downloaded by using torrents. Content which is shared is what can be illegal aka pirated.

Reactions: Venustus and Adz.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.