Australia's $41bn National Broadband Network labeled as “****” by MyRepublic CEO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
nbn.jpg

Australia's current plan to connect homes via copper cables is drawing criticism.

Australia’s National Broadband Network (NBN) has received heavy criticism from MyRepublic co-founder Malcolm Rodrigues, as it continues to rollout the $41bn project.

The head of the Singaporean-based ISP says the nation’s benchmark of 50Mbps by 2020 is insufficient compared to rising global standards. Rodrigues says the plan to connect fibre to a node, which relies on slower copper phone lines to connect homes to the network, rather than fibre to the home, will be a detriment to the nation’s long-term economy.

"I don't know what [the government] is doing on the other policy fronts but on this they've completely stuffed it. More and more Australians will leave the country looking for jobs and you'll continue to be a resource based economy – the hope of building IT jobs and a digital economy will kind of be more difficult to achieve.”

The comments come as Rodrigues plans to launch the ISP in Australia, after successfully penetrating the Indonesian and New Zealand market. The company plans to launch services by mid-2016 by offering unlimited 100 Mbps for $80-$90, rivaling local companies Optus and TPG. He further went on to say:

"On FTTN we'll market 100Mbps and when people come over we'll say 'sorry, thank your government [because] you're on a ##### network and the most you can get is 20-30Mbps, but we will continue to lobby your government to turn it into a fibre-to-the-home one and as soon as you get there we'll get you a free upgrade to fibre'."

The National Broadband Network (NBN) is a major infrastructure project to upgrade Australia’s existing network. The 10-year-project hopes to give Australian’s access to world-class internet speeds, but its current plan is raising doubts over its abilities to rival other Asian nations.

Source: Fairfax Media | Image: Organic Web

Reactions: frogboy

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
And i will not even get it for many years yet out here in the rural area where i live. :(

Reactions: Andytay70

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
at least we can still surf the internet as most people around the world have never been on the WWW. makes you realise what the internet brings to us all;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Sometimes a country needs to improved their baseline average of internet speed which should represent sufficient expense for a subscription.

Cause other countries like Singapore have decent speed at the cheap price. ;)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Parts of the UK's "Superfast Broadband" uses Copper cables

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Here in Canada, my ISP (Bell) uses true fibre optic cables for their internet and TV. They ditched the copper wires ages ago. My connection is always fast. My school also used them. Even with 100s of computers on the network and the WiFi going the network still never seemed to slow down. If it was running on copper wires, I would imagine it would slow to a crawl.

Mind you, Canada doesn't have the fastest average internet speeds in the world but we are pretty on par with the USA. Bell is planning on rolling out 1GB speeds in a few cities this Summer and then rolling it out to more later on.

Our other ISP (Rogers) uses cable and that thing slows down to a crawl when many users in the area are surfing away, Bell doesn't have this issue.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I do like they are trying to get the NBN out there BUT, if Abbott wasn't in power and Labour were it would be going straight to the house, BUT no he has to make to to ISP's and then slow it down to houses... Not happy Abbott.

The company I run offers the NBN but I do find that people can't even get it as it's not even available in their area. Us here in Australia have a HUGE country to get internet too. Not like the UK where everyone is so close together.

Also did you know Telstra (an ISP here in Australia) spent $587 Million on advertising last year alone, now that doesn't include TV ads, bill boards. That's just junk mail and cold calling. They should be using that money to build the NBN network. Meh that's another story too. hahaha

They could be using the open space for Solar Power but I'm not going to be going into that now haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.