Autonomous High-Altitude Aircraft Nails New Flight Tests

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
We're a step closer to having high-altitude, long-endurance, autonomous aircraft soaring through the skies. UAVOS has now announced that a prototype of the company's High Altitude Pseudo Satellite (HAPS) ApusDuo aircraft has completed the first stage of flight tests.

As the name suggests, these HAPS aircraft are designed to occupy the space between drones and satellites, soaring to altitudes as high as 20,000 m (65,600 ft). From that vantage point, they're able to monitor the environment in the atmosphere and back on the ground, beam internet or radio communications over long distances, or perform military surveillance operations. The Airbus Zephyr is one such project, and until recently Facebook had been trialling a program called Aquila that was designed to beam high-speed internet to the world. UAVOS' aircraft, the ApusDuo, follows a similar design, with two long parallel wings connected and supported by three perpendicular struts. The wings are lined with solar panels for power, and can autonomously bend and flex to keep the craft airborne for long periods – up to a year at a time, according to UAVOS.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
The next version of this craft they claim will have a wingspan of 28 meters, that's nearly 3 times larger than this one :emoji_hushed: Great post (y)

It would seem to me that at low altitudes this would be very vulnerable to wind shear/gusts and it says it can remain in flight 365 days at a time but is that in daylight only, I went to their site and there was little info.

Last edited:

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
It would seem to me that at low altitudes this would be very vulnerable to wind shear/gusts and it says it can remain in flight 365 days at a time but is that in daylight only, I went to their site and there was little info.
HAPS ( High-altitude platform station/system ) are vehicles/objects thats supposed to be in whats called the stratosphere, thats the second layer above the atmosphere and thats as high as 20,000 m (65,600 ft) or even higher. That's far above commercial air flights that fly around 9–12 km (30,000–39,000 ft).

Here's the answer on your question.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.