AV-Comparative Real-World Protection Test April 2017

212eta

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
May 11, 2011
Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Symantec, Trend Micro, and Panda scored 100%.
Adaware and Fortinent, too.

Maxxx58

Level 13
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
Kaspersky still does the good job. Can someone answer me this question? Does Kaspesky identify Wannacry Ransomware before it has Wannacry Ransomware signature? Can you help me @harlan4096

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Can someone answer me this question? Does Kaspesky identify Wannacry Ransomware before it has Wannacry Ransomware signature? Can you help me @harlan4096
Apparently Kaspersky System Watcher was able to block WannaCry RW
Quote from another thread post:
I know that Hitman Pro Alert, Malwarebytes 3, Emsisoft and Kaspersky blocked this Ransomware without signatures by using behavior blocker technology.
EAb6czPi.jpg

Also, this 2-day old Securelist article hints that System Watcher did.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Did anyone get a glimpse of the results just as they were released? I'm quite sure that kaspersky was positioned right beside Avast and AVG scoring the same points as them. Was going to comment on that but it was late so I decided to head to sleep and comment on it the next day but to my surprise it looks like kaspersky's score magically jumped from the original placing to the top with the rest of the AVs that scored 100%.

Are my eyes playing tricks on me? :confused:

Reactions: frogboy

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
At MWHub I tested WannaCry with all the main modules disabled bu SW (also no InterNet connection)...

https://malwaretips.com/threads/w-anna-cry-v2.71397/#post-628222
Oh yes, missed that :D.
The rollback ability is brilliant!

The good part is Symantec is back.
Though I don't always affirm with these tests, it's good to see Symantec rise, knowing that their solutions are widely implemented and relied on in the industries. If I'm not wrong, Symantec is already levelling up their game by integrating and improving advanced ML algorithms in cloud.

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
Panda rocks....nice to see..but what the hell is going on with eset?

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
What do you guys think of Panda Free scoring 100% three months in a row? It was getting top 5 consistently in 2014 & 2015 Real-world tests and now it's off to a great start again. Can the free version compete with the top of the line paid products?

Reactions: roger_m

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Really happy with the results Avast had! Surprised about Adaware. Is it tested in the Malware Hub? If it's not, I would volunteer to test it for the community. (Should be a few more weeks till I have off of school, then I have practically all the time in the world.)

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
the free version is okay, but the internet security is better because of including the data shield (against ransomware).

I'm a Panda user :)
The paid version has more features yeah, but i'm talking about basic protection. Panda Free is put up in these tests against paid versions of Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Avira, Eset and has been putting up numbers every time. If these tests are anything to go by, then Panda should "technically" be the best free av available right? Unless we assume that Bitdefender free protects just as well as the paid version, Panda looks like the winner here.

For ransomware protection i'd rather pair it up with Comodo. Seems like it would be a good and light combo, free while being light with no nags.

Reactions: roger_m and amico81

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
My Combo is Panda IS with Zemana Antimalware (with Real Time Protection)...very light.

The user Cruelsister here in this forum says Panda is not very good against zero day and ransomware...but his video wasn't fair, because the free version doesnt have the data shield. Im waiting since months for a test here with the IS or GP :-(

Reactions: Thirio

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.