AV-Comparative Real-World Protection Test February-June 2017

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
A user-required action is not a block. .
I'm sorry , a user prompt is by definition a block , the file was blocked to continue its actions, then it is the stupidity/ignorance of the user or his personal assessment (correct or not ) of the file that allow it to complete its action by clicking "allow".

It is why we call the feature a "Behavior Blocker"

Btw, i was a closed-beta tester for Emsisoft since almost a decade until i found no use of any AVs.

Thread author
I'm sorry , a user prompt is by definition a block , the file was blocked to continue its actions, then it is the stupidity/ignorance of the user or his personal assessment (correct or not ) of the file that allow it to complete its action by clicking "allow".

It is why we call the feature a "Behavior Blocker"

Btw, i was a closed-beta tester for Emsisoft since almost a decade until i found no use of any AVs.

It is not just limited to Emsisoft. It is the same old, same old argument. Security soft publishers make it too difficult for user. We want and expect Skynet.

Security soft vendor is wrong if it even suggests user bears some responsibility in protecting their system.

It is like arguing that automobile manufacturer must keep people alive when the driver goes 135 kph and wrecks. If person dies, then it is automatically the automobile manufacturer's fault.

GonzitoVir

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2017
It is the parents' responsibility. Children that don't know any better should be locked out of the system. There is no way you can pass responsibility onto the security software publisher for a minor's actions on a computer.

I'm not passing responsibility onto the security software publisher for a minor's actions, as adults (who are not
knowledgeable on internet/computer security) do the clicking on the "Next" button very often and ignore the warning pop ups too!... or not? Maybe they should be locked out of the system too... or they would be safer using Linux or a Mac? :rolleyes:

At least in the United States there are legal precedents for this and I'd bet it is the same in the EU and other countries.

I've read of cases in the US, where kids were buying cars and other expensive goods using their parent's eBay account :D

Thread author
I've read of cases in the US, where kids were buying cars and other expensive goods using their parent's eBay account :D

A minor cannot enter into a legally binding contract without parental consent. That includes online purchases. So the parent can rescind the purchase.

So if my kid purchases a $800 item online, I can contact both eBay and the seller and they have no choice but to cancel the purchase. Some online sellers have tried, but failed to complete online purchases made by minors that were without parental consent.

Good grief man... can you just imagine if an $80,000 Mercedes was delivered to you by someone who is not Santa Claus because of something an 11 year old did online ?

as adults (who are not
knowledgeable on internet/computer security) do the clicking on the "Next" button very often and ignore the warning pop ups too!... or not? Maybe they should be locked out of the system too... or they would be safer using Linux or a Mac?

Adults in some respects take much greater risks.

Unknowledgeable users of any age benefit greatly from strict default-deny.

The kids can figure out Linux way before most adults. Linux makes most adults have meltdowns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: shukla44

aragornnnn

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 18, 2016
In Belgium it goes like this:
Noob: Hmm i might need some sort of antivirus for my new pc let's go to the pc shop.
Shop Owner: Oh hello Mr. Noob, can i help you?
Noob: yes i need an antivirus for my new pc.
Shop Owner: Ok, we have 3 different ones wich are all equally as good (most of the time Bitdefender, Norton and Bullguard)
wich one do you want?
Noob: I like dogs so i take the Bullguard one.

I can tell ya more then 80% of the "Belgen" purchase the first AV they meet in the stores, more then 95% does
not even know about those tests.

Last edited:

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Noob: Hmm i might need some sort of antivirus for my new pc let's go to the pc shop.
Shop Owner: Ok, we have 3 different ones wich are all equally as good (most of the time Bitdefender, Norton and Bullguard)
wich and do you want?

I can tell ya more then 80% of the "Belgen" purchase the first AV they meet in the stores, more then 95% does

General population is mostly uninformed about security... I'm always surprised to hear how many of my friends don't even own some basic AV program installed, or when they do have it - it's usually cracked. They just don't care enough. To expect them to inform themselves of PC security would be as equal as to expect my cat to write a thesis on quantum mechanics. It's not going to happen. :confused:

Thread author
come one boys, so your favorite protection did not make it to the top on this test, accept it & move on :p

All of the products are decent and are sufficient for typical computing. People unrealistically get all bent out of shape over the lab test results when they see something they do not like. It is only security soft geeks that really care because nobody else even pays attention such tests.

Thread author
wich one do you want?

General population is mostly uninformed about security... I'm always surprised to hear how many of my friends don't even own some basic AV program installed, or when they do have it - it's usually cracked. They just don't care enough. To expect them to inform themselves of PC security would be as equal as to expect my cat to write a thesis on quantum mechanics. It's not going to happen. :confused:

IT security is not really a part of most typical peoples' lives. Their favorite TV show is waaaaaay more important.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
All of the products are decent and are sufficient for typical computing. People unrealistically get all bent out of shape over the lab test results when they see something they do not like. It is only security soft geeks that really care because nobody else even pays attention such tests.
indeed, because we all know that a difference of 0.3% in a lab test result is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE issue.... /sarcasm

Reactions: Transhumana

Thread author
indeed, because we all know that a difference of 0.3% in a lab test result is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE issue.... /sarcasm

96.6 % protection versus 99.3 % protection.

Only people that worry about the small percentage difference above are ultra-paranoid and in their own heads. Those type people do not need AV, what they really need is yoga to relax.

At 95+ % level of protection, there is very small chance of infection using either one.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.