Viking

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
The AV Comparatives Summary Report 2011 is out. It took me a while to read the whole report, but here it is, enjoy:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/summary/summary2011.pdf

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Kaspersky Internet Security won the 'Product of the year' award......Well, it's not a bad product but it has it's weakness for instance it can slow down a system and Kaspersky should really solve this problem as this was and is the main complaint against this product and on the other hand , on default settings it relies strongly on it's definitions for protection as the HIPS and the other components are poorly configured. For instance , even if Kaspersky has done a great job at designing the Application Control System (HIPS) , making it easy to use and to understand for all but it has done a very bad job when has chosen the default settings because in the real world most of the unknown and possibly malicious files will be added automatically to the 'Low restricted' group , a group from which a malicious program can still damage the system.
Another good example would be the behavior blocker which really needs some improvements on it's algorithms because I have never manage to see it at work even if I infected the system which malware.
Overall some interesting results but we should keep in mind that this tests are performed in a laboratory and sometimes they can be incompatible with the real world before buying any suite you should use the trial period.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
Jack said:
Overall some interesting results but we should keep in mind that this tests are performed in a laboratory and sometimes they can be incompatible with the real world before buying any suite you should use the trial period.

I fully agree with you Jack! :popcorm1:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Fully agree for Jack's post.

For Kasperksy since they won on their "Product of the Year". Default settings perhaps to be more effective like the web guard and the realtime protection.

Performance must be trim down for having slowdown issues likely improve their engines like scanning.

Smart Error

Dec 21, 2011
I used kaspersky from v4 until v12
didn't face any issues in slowing down the system ..
actually 2012 improved too much in the performance by comparing it to the previous versions
I see that kaspersky deserves this award for the year

the heaviest product that i have ever seen is bitdefender
if it was with a good performance, then we can rank it as #1 =)

muhammadariif

Aug 3, 2011
I also agree with you Jack

Kaspersky recognized the 'Product of the Year' is selected as the consistent and unbeaten antivirus, and Bitdefender won the whole product protection.

I honestly do not like BitDefender at all

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
Jack said:
Kaspersky Internet Security won the 'Product of the year' award......Well, it's not a bad product but it has it's weakness for instance it can slow down a system and Kaspersky should really solve this problem as this was and is the main complaint against this product and on the other hand , on default settings it relies strongly on it's definitions for protection as the HIPS and the other components are poorly configured. For instance , even if Kaspersky has done a great job at designing the Application Control System (HIPS) , making it easy to use and to understand for all but it has done a very bad job when has chosen the default settings because in the real world most of the unknown and possibly malicious files will be added automatically to the 'Low restricted' group , a group from which a malicious program can still damage the system.
Another good example would be the behavior blocker which really needs some improvements on it's algorithms because I have never manage to see it at work even if I infected the system which malware.
+1

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.