AV-Comparatives Malware Removal Test - 2012-11

NathanF1

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
AV-Comparatives said:
This test focuses only on the malware removal/cleaning capabilities, therefore all selected/used samples were samples that the tested Anti-Virus products were able to detect. It had nothing to do with detection rates or protection capabilities.

PDF Report in English

avcmalwareremoval.png

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Kaspersky is always looking strong. I bet Avira would jump up there if some minor tweaks were made. Since factory settings vary, I would like to see video reviews have two phases: one with minimal security, and the other having security set to the highest settings. Default performance of any anti-malware product is way to vague and inconclusive for me.

P

Plexx

Not surprise on avast! results but the ESET results are a bit weird. BD having way better results and on par with Kaspersky and Panda slightly behind?

Not to mention the footnote: that says that most vendors have already addressed the issue, so the whole test becomes irrelevant in one way or another.

Nikos

Jul 19, 2012
Iam very disappointed Αvast scored that low....it was my top choise.

Avira also i wanted it to climb up because its a very good AV.

P

Plexx

Nikos said:

Ever since version 6, avast! removal capabilities never been that good.

Kaspersky has always lead the way.

Norton went downhill as of 2011 version but still highly looked upon.

AVIRA been on mid level along with ESET, Bullguard, BD etc.

Nikos

Jul 19, 2012
I'am currently installing Advanced SystemCare Ultimate v6b since BitDefnder is so good along with ASC which is a very nice system maintenace utility.

Both in 1!

P

Plexx

Just because it has BitDefender signatures, does not mean it is good. If you want a product with good signatures and removal capabilities, Emsisoft Anti-Malware, and keep ASC free which is just enough for system maintenance.

Waste of money in getting ASC with AV engine since its reliability is a lot to be desired.

Nikos

Jul 19, 2012
"Just because it has BitDefender signatures, does not mean it is good. "
"Waste of money in getting ASC with AV engine since its reliability is a lot to be desired."

Iam not sure i follow you. Its like having BitDefender in my system, no?

NathanF1

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
I'm actually surprised by BitDefender's result [in a good way, though]- I know they've been a juggernaut for the last 12 months and I've been using it for quite some time now, just that I have always been skeptical of their high AV-Test removal marks.

Kudos to Kaspersky and Panda, the rest of the BitDefender engine club [BullGuard, F-Secure] wasn't too bad either, G-DATA's focus is obviously on detection. Avira's result is once again a sign of their intrinsic abilities, regardless of questionable business alliances and choices, as well as development rate.

This test, whether we deem it important and representative, or not, should at least remind us that prevention is the best cure. It's a snapshot of the capabilities of these products to deal with an already infected system.

Edit: and the good thing is that
AV-Comparatives said:
most vendors have addressed and fixed/improved the next releases of their products based on our findings in this report

If the current heavyweights BitDefender and Kaspersky can "only" manage 94 / 100 with this sample of non-destructive, wide-spread trojans / trojan horses, worms, etc., and as stated

AV-Comparatives said:
We allowed some negligible/unimportant traces to be left behind, mainly because a perfect score can't be reached due to the behaviour / system modifications done by some of the used malware samples
the infected system will remain more or less in some sort of compromised state. And high detection doesn't necessarily equate to good removal abilities.

The report can be viewed as an informational piece on implementing layered approach to security - backup and disk imaging, sandboxing and virtualization, system snapshot and rollback software should be used to complement and strengthen AV/AM products most of the PC users still see as the mainstay of their security.

@Nikos
avast did really well in MRG Effitas Banking Security report, alongside Comodo, Emsisoft and Kaspersky.

Nikos

Jul 19, 2012
So you advise me to keep ASC with BitDefender embedded

or

there is a difference running BitDefender Engine as a standlaone product opposed to ASC which it is embedded there?

P

Plexx

Nikos said:
So you advise me to keep ASC with BitDefender embedded

or

there is a difference running BitDefender Engine as a standlaone product opposed to ASC which it is embedded there?

Yes there is a difference.

What ASC, Emsisoft etc use are the BitDefender Signatures.

How the program performs on your computer, I/O, CPU, RAM, removal capabilities etc are based on the actual product using the signatures.

Example: Computer A has BitDefender 2013, Computer B has Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

Both computers have the exact same specs. Yet Computer B will have way faster scanning speed and better removal capabilities as opposed to Computer A.

Nikos

Jul 19, 2012
Right!

So, its not only the data someones have but how are those data being handled that matters!

Btw, since BitDefender invented its own virus signatures and Emsisoft are using these exact signatures, i think that the latter cannot do a better malware removal ability that the company that found these signatures in the 1st place.

If Emsisoft was that good it would also have itw own method of virus signature detection that BitDefender has.

D

Deleted member 178

Nikos said:
Right!

So, its not only the data someones have but how are those data being handled that matters!

exactly

Btw, since BitDefender invented its own virus signatures and Emsisoft are using these exact signatures, i think that the latter cannot do a better malware removal ability that the company that found these signatures in the 1st place.

detection and removal are different things.

Here for EAM engines explanation.

If Emsisoft was that good it would also have itw own method of virus signature detection that BitDefender has.

Emsisoft has a second engine , their own, that increase its detection rate and could surpass BD in some case.

Nikos

Jul 19, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
Nikos said:

detection and removal are different things.

It sure is, but its alsoo logical to assume that if a product does a so nice job of dtecting viruses based on its own developed virus signatures why not also do an also well done job in removing them?

D

Deleted member 178

because detecting the behavior of a malware not means you can remove it without harming the system easily, since the malware will install many files in sensitive areas.

detecting Cancer is easy now, curing it is another story.

Nikos

Jul 19, 2012
Right! Thanks!

Emsisoft it is then! It does fully support Windows 8 Pro right?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Nikos said:

Like to point out this is a REMOVAL test, not a proactive real-time test.

Most of the AV's that get top scores on the Proactive real-time tests usually get much lower scores on the removal tests.

The Removal test are the least important, since they are so many options to remove infections. So don't base your opinion on removal tests because most don't apply to real-time protection which is the most important factor when choosing a solution.

Thanks.:D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.