AV-Comparatives May 2017 test. Windows Defender did great!

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017
yes great, but they tested with win 7.....they were drunk or? :eek:

why not a second test with xp or win95? ;)
MS=99.5% on Windows 7.....

Just think of it on Windows 10, with all other modules combined... This clearly states that on Windows 10, nothing else is needed..... Or... It states
that the samples they used were clearly not zero day and possible had a few days age if not more, or you would not see these high scores,
which is, at best, misleading.

I don't know, you decide "In my best Dave Matthews" voice...

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
And some will say: "And why don't they just tests using upgraded software" instead of just using "Updated software". I don't want to sound rude to AV-Comparatives but, it will be interesting to know why G-Data went for a walk away from AV-Comparatives, G-Data is solid protection and I would say reputable AV-Vendor, maybe they left for good reasons, or they just didn't like the testing habits, or maybe they just abandoned it for no special reason, however why?. I'm not saying these tests are garbage, but I can say what this image says in green.
mZB5eSP.png

It yells SAFE in green, just look at it and tell me if you wouldn't just go green here. While we may agree that we have to call it updated software since support for Windows 7 S.O will hold until January 14, 2020. And by this we should say that both Windows 7 and Windows 10 are updated software and testing on Windows 7 is valid. I will simply say that you are testing on updated software instead of testing on upgraded software, which is named Windows 10.
So as we always says here at MT and just like @J Gamez065 said, people should take these tests with a grain of salt ;).

Last edited:

Faybert

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
And some will say: "And why don't they just tests using upgraded software" instead of just using "Updated software". I don't want to sound rude to AV-Comparatives but it will be interesting to know why G-Data went for a walk away from AV-Comparatives, G-Data is solid protection and I would say reputable AV-Vendor and it could just leave for good reasons or they just didn't liked the testing habits, or maybe they just leave because they wanted for no interesting reason, however why?. I'm not saying these tests are garbage, but I can say what this image says in green.
mZB5eSP.png

It yells SAFE in green, just look at it and tell me if you wouldn't just go green here. While we may agree that we have to call it updated software since support for Windows 7 S.O will hold until January 14, 2020. And by this we should say that both Windows 7 and Windows 10 are updated software and testing on Windows 7 is valid. I will simply say that you are testing on updated software instead of testing on upgraded software, which is named Windows 10.
So as we always says here at MT and as already said in this thread, people should take these tests with a grain of salt.
I agree on G Data, very strange, It is bizarre to leave the G Data out and put a company that did not even know it existed, a CrowdStrike. I tried to search
the reason about, but so far I have not found anything..

Last edited:

I agree on G Data, very strange, It is bizarre to leave the G Data out and put a company that did not even know it existed, a CrowdStrike. I tried to search about, but so far I have not found anything..

G Data is not included because it does not pay for the testing. AV-Comparatives does not test for free out of the generosity of their heart. Once in a while products will be tested for free.

Funding - AV-Comparatives

CrowdStrike is Enterprise product.

Orion

Level 2
Verified
Apr 8, 2016
I am suprised by the score of avast this time around Although I still have samples they miss (everyone misses).The 100% thing is what I have problem with.No av with the current influx of malware can be 100% this is misleadng.

GonzitoVir

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2017
yes great, but they tested with win 7.....they were drunk or? :eek:
Maybe because there are thousands (millions?) of users still using W7. Remember Wannacry affected computers with W7.
So IMHO they wanted to test Antimalwares in an insecure environment.

Probably that W7 wasn't even patched to make it more vulnerable.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Avira results:

• March 100%
  • April 99.6%
  • May 99%

It seems to be a small decline...
Of course, we take these tests as a grain of salt, but thinking at the same time, I can think that malware is becoming more advanced and the Avira engine is old!
They should begin to think that it is time to rewrite a good part of their AV, especially the BB side, instead to add unnecessary crap functions.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.