AV-Comparatives - Performance Test Anti-Virus - December 2011

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
As usual Eset, Symantec and Avast are the lightest.
I'm kind of shock the Microsoft Security Essentials got such a good score, the last time I tried on my XP system, it was very slow.

K7 is also one of the lightest but its detection is really bad.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6YCxIfLI_SgMDEzZjZhN2ItOWU5My00NTcwLWE0ZTItNzM5NjcwNTVjODVm

Thanks.:D

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
8sYK5.png

Kaspersky ranked higher than Webroot , now that's is a surprise , the 'Launching Applications' test gave some problems to KAV while Webroot has some problems when it comes to 'File Copying' ...Also KAV had a better score in the PC Mark test.....
Bitdefender had a poor performance with medium ratings in almost all the tests...

Overall the final scores are fair but I would've like to see the Internet Security Suites tested and not the AV's as the IS are usually the most requested/used and they have some other features that can slow down a system...

@Littlebits I have MSE 4.0 on my laptop and it's pretty light , I can't feel any slow down.... It has a high ram usage but it doesn't slow me down...

EDIT : I've also tried G-Data IS 2012 a few weeks ago and the only thing that I can say is that this guys really worked on their system impact , the only complaint would be in the startup time but overall it's a light suites .....

davhag64

Jun 7, 2011
I too would love to see any reports on the Suites. And can anyone tell me why Avira has a registry that you cannot get rid of or is it my system. One more thing. Is this the best of the test. because I thought Bitdefender Total security and KIS blew ESEt out of the water!

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
davhag64 said:
I too would love to see any reports on the Suites. And can anyone tell me why Avira has a registry that you cannot get rid of or is it my system. One more thing. Is this the best of the test. because I thought Bitdefender Total security and KIS blew ESEt out of the water!

To remove Avira registry keys after uninstalling use Avira Registry Cleaner

To completely uninstall an Antivirus software use AppRemover

Choosing an AV, you need to consider the balance of system resource usage (CPU cycles and RAM), detection, protection, false positives, usability, simplicity and compatibility.

Some users want to use the AV with the highest detection and protection rates according to AV tests sacrificing system resources, high false positive issues, complexity, compatibility issues, etc. All are equally important.

I

illumination

Littlebits said:
Choosing an AV, you need to consider the balance of system resource usage (CPU cycles and RAM), detection, protection, false positives, usability, simplicity and compatibility.

Some users want to use the AV with the highest detection and protection rates according to AV tests sacrificing system resources, high false positive issues, complexity, compatibility issues, etc. All are equally important.

Completely agree, when choosing, it is vital to consider the system resources, and the effects of what ever AV you choose will have upon it, finding the right balance of protection and usability...

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I've found difference when using Norton and Avira.

Caused when I tested Norton before the speed made gain faster even in boot up unlike Avira it made an additional seconds for boot up. (Currently I used Avira and so far that's only one I noticed yet)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.