Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
ok, they edited the article for eset, currently i'm testing eset what a good time!!
I think it's still not a good AV compare to the others
ESET does have exploit protection against wannacry infected from other computers in the same network but it can't protect against wannacry executed from the desktop if users download it from an email. It has been destroyed by so many ransomwares according to the malwarehub

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
ESET does have exploit protection against wannacry infected from other computers in the same network but it can't protect against wannacry executed from the desktop if users download it from an email. It has been destroyed by so many ransomwares according to the malwarehub
Disappointing enough Eset behavior and even a little incomprehensible, knowing the product.
Indeed I agree.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Unfortunately ESET should improve well from their sandbox mechanism to detect those intensive threats without relying signatures much.

Signatures are meant to be a secondary option not as primary since it can be easy to bypass because of obfuscated source codes.

Game Of Thrones

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2014
It's sad when you see some companies like eset or webroot, with such potentials that with some innovation and better management they can be really great not just good! Great. But wasting some of the resources and some bad decisions makes them not as Good as the others. Eset does have the resources to be great, but nope! They don't want to. As far as i tested, really good performance and UI, with good options. Even detection is not that bad specially web protection but as you said it will loose to some malwares on execution .

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
thats my experience too with eset....great performance and good signatures based detection, impressive web protection....but their HIPS is a NO-GO for
inexperienced users. Kaspersky makes it better

Stratosk

Level 1
May 15, 2017
i m very disappointing about ESET if it is true
have anybody tryied to a virtual machine with some WannaCry ransomware samples ?
can we have some results about ESET VS WannaCry ransomware ?

Reactions: JB007

GonzitoVir

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2017
In 2000 while working at an major airline, the "I love you virus" attacked... hundreds (or thousands around the world?) of PCs infected with hard disks wiped. The antivirus was Norton Enterprise.
Some years later at an NPO while using ESET, two viruses/worms infected their PCs.
Then they moved to AVG free version. Made PCs a little slow and again one worm slip through.
I recommended Emsisoft and they've been using it since then (around 12 years).
My Emisoft expired after many years of being a loyal customer. I wanted to try something new and I'm currently using Sophos Home beta and so far, so good.

Regarding this AV Comparative, I was no surprised that ESET failed at all. Never really convinced me. Good UI but I've seen too many infected PCs that were using Eset.

Reactions: ravi prakash saini

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.