AV-Comparatives Real-World Protection report (September '17)

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Not taken seriously - really ? These monthly AV-Comparatives threads get people banned from the forum on a regular basis.

If anyone takes these tests so seriously that they get banned over them then all I'll say is I'm sorry for them... That's no different from the fanboy who does not understand that EVERY product out there has its flaws, bugs and vulnerabilities, not to mention methods to bypass them.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Blind! guides of the blind, if a blind man leads a blind man, both fall into the pit. Do not marry an antivirus, Antivirus programs are like washing machines also have a program, And no one argues that if my washer is the best.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone out there on the internet is discussing a testing system to discover which washing machine is the best....

VeeekTor

Level 5
Verified
May 16, 2017
And if you think it's a dishonest test, that someone paid for the results, then I suggest you're wrong, not that dishonesty doesn't happen, but Microsoft would be in first place, since they have much more money than all these other companies combined. Plus your assuming that AVComp is a liar.

Reactions: uninfected1

Seems right to me. Failure with 100 samples, means failure with those same samples, plus 200 more.

AV-Comparative, AV-Test, AV Bulletin tests are almost never consistent when testing "advanced" protections. Such tests as MRG Effitas, AVLap.pl, etc. Softs that do great in the AV tests do terrible in the advanced testing. Some AV that do poorly in the AV tests do much better in the advanced testing.

And even the "advanced" testing can be done incorrectly.

So you cannot trust these tests absolutely. None of them - ever.

Seems right to me. Failure with 100 samples, means failure with those same samples, plus 200 more.

It doesn't work that way absolutely. It is just a general trend thing - nothing more, nothing less. And the AV that does great for years can take a nose-dive for both the short and long term.

AV test results from a particular vendor viewed across years are the best general indicator of the protections tested.

There is only a particular type of person who will defend their soft and behave like an out of control, unhinged idiot in the process and continuously attack others - even those not participating in any discussion - on the forums.

Those types eventually get themselves banned. It is just a matter of time.

Some people just cannot help themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

overdivine

Level 2
Verified
Aug 21, 2013
as a home user no antivirus is as good as any antivirus if you know what you are doing.
no antivirus is flawless it all depends on what is behind your "click". with some you can click more with some less toll you get an infection.
tests are kind of useless because they don't test what you will click

Malware Person

Level 4
Verified
Jun 8, 2016
bitdefender got all of them. nice! emsisoft needs to step up their game, they can't let windows defender beat them.

To be honest, windows defender is rapidly improving recently.

Reactions: amico81

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
bitdefender got all of them. nice! emsisoft needs to step up their game, they can't let windows defender beat them.

To be honest, windows defender is rapidly improving recently.

It´s just a pity that Windows Defender is the heaviest AV I ever tested, it goes beyond me how Microsoft is incapable of fixing this???

/W

Last edited:

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
i like to see once in a while tests even when everyone bashes them . |For instance i liked avg for years but now avg is being destroyed by avast . I am not tempted by the high scores it has because performance wise i think avg is being deranged . On the other side McAfee is always among the most hated software out there . I see a lot of people that say a lot of bad things but i have used it for a year and the only thing i now for sure is that it was heavy on ram but not in usage .
So the discussion will never end about it for vendors such as drweb symantec f-secure etc . i know one thing that the power of ads is still what drives people to their choices

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.