AV-Comparatives Real-World Protection Test April 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Emsisoft doesn't deserve the blame now for everything they have done over the past years, and this test report means nothing, some of you are being ungrateful. :( Emsisoft will get back on the track, every AV have good and bad months, the real importance is how fast can AV company adapt to new standarts and detect new malware techniques.

Last edited by a moderator:

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
Emsisoft doesn't deserve the blame now for everything they have done over the past years, and this test report means nothing, some of you are being ungrateful. :( Emsisoft will get back on the track, every AV have good and bad months, the real importance is how fast can AV company adapt to new standarts and detect new malware techniques.

Well said. :)

Reactions: DDE_Server
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

From testing K7 is incredibly light as well.

I threw it in a VM this week and windows actually runs faster with it installed, largely I think because it disables the heavy WD and replaces WFD with it's own firewall. I'm now testing it in the VM alongside (one at a time) VS and OSArmor to see how it plays and how protective it is in combo.

Also of note, K7 uses encrypted communication and appears to have virtually zero telemetry with the ability to totally disable logging if you choose via checkboxes. Also it looks like they are OPSWAT share members, reinforcing sigs from Metadefender. Which may be why they score in parallel with others, such as Avast/AVG, Kaspersky, etc.

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Kaspersky is an over-rated product just like Emsisoft. I have used both these programs for a long time.
Take that back or I will throw you with my robotic laser.

Kaspersky is a top product in the industry not only for its signatures but for the amazing capabilities of its modules like Application Control, System Watcher, etc.
As for Emsisoft, I would say it's a very good product with a long career yet to come.

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Bitdefender is still among the absolute best:love:
BitDefender is the perfect example of a long-standing company that never let people down. Despite this or that bug, it has always had an excellent proactive defence and outstanding tools to lockdown a system. It has always been a top option for consumers and that's to be respected! (y)

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
Take that back or I will throw you with my robotic laser.

Kaspersky is a top product in the industry not only for its signatures but for the amazing capabilities of its modules like Application Control, System Watcher, etc.
As for Emsisoft, I would say it's a very good product with a long career yet to come.

perhaps,he was talking about kaspersky's default settings. which is pretty lame to be honest. But with proper configuration kaspersky is a force to b reckoned with. but then again when it comes to PUP kaspersky looses its lustre.
But to consider kaspersky as over-rated is quite a bit disproportionate response..

Last edited:

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
Bitdefender is still among the absolute best

Is bitdefender stable enough??? I once tried its giveaway & it was good sig. wise. But used to disable its critical modules on its own,then I understood why they gave that away. & its firewall wasn't that impressive. I always had doubt about its conduct during remote desktop call. It used to give a freehand to the other guy which is not acceptable. I hope BD has changed since then. But never got a chance to ask anyone.

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Lol! Luke file walker done it again..Cash cash :ROFLMAO::LOL:
K7 improved a lot on pro active since last year as well as Quick heal.
Take AV-C test with a pinch of salt sugar & spice.:coffee:
Luke FileWalker is a double edge tool... It's great but holy cricket everytime it suspects an infection it does a full scan and it takes ages...

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Consistency over the last 5 years should go to Trend Micro.

Let's be honest.. They've been effective, stable, good looking and reasonably bug free in half a decade. Not many products can make that claim. Bit Defender has never been stable but has been consistent in test results through thick and thin. But those bugs are the real killer, and their pathetic, connection throttling firewall is pathetic.

Note: I don't use Trend, I am just saying they are stable and consistent, over many years.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Lol! Luke file walker done it again..Cash cash :ROFLMAO::LOL:
Luke FileWalker is a double edge tool... It's great but holy cricket everytime it suspects an infection it does a full scan and it takes ages...
Luke Filewalker is gone since beta version .106 and latest stable now is .137 which you can get on homepage, but in this test report it's says just
AVIRA Antivirus Pro 15.0, so it's not sure which version exactly was stable at the time test was performed.
Improvements

• Quarantine now supports large number of files to view and rescan (WAV-FR-0114)
    • Thank you Sean A. & Francesco M.
  • New realtime protection detection handling
    • Redesigned & better usability
    • No more "Luke Filewalker" windows when closing the detection pop-up
  • Better support of default system proxy configuration
  • Simplified uninstallation dialog
  • New WMI status functionality

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Well another test, more or less the same silliness. I find it both funny and ironic when these test results come out, one minute everyone says to take these tests with a grain of salt, the next minute, product a,b,c (very good job), product d,e,f (well looks like they are POS). So which is it? Do we take it with a grain of salt, or do we rely on them with 100% validity.

I also find it funny when I see people rip a test apart when they don't agree with the results because their product does poorly and/or a product they don't like does well. Next month however, this test is good, it represents exactly what I believe because my product did well and the product I dislike does poorly. I get it, people want to see the the product that they use/prefer always do well, but in reality, I think we all know that there is no so such product that can deliver 100% protection 100% of the time. I've yet to see reports proving that using x product (that does poorly on a test, even if it was just 1 or 2 tests) will result in getting infected every single day. I mean there are a lot of people that use WD and somehow many of those people seem to be infection free. I'm not saying that there are people that haven't been infected when using WD, but I've yet to see concrete data that its a massive wide spread issue. Even if something does get past a particular product, there is no guarantee that another product would have caught it instead.

As for Emsisoft, I think they are a great company with great protection. They have a very good team behind it and offer some of the best customer support out there. Sure this test maybe a lower result than normal, but I really think its silly to write them off completely. Again, I have yet to see data proving that the vast majority of Emsisoft users are being infected on a daily basis because of this test result. I also want to give Emsisoft the benefit of the doubt in regards to cruelsister's test. It could have very well been because they were having issues with their cloud component, or it could not have. I don't think these cloud systems are as simple as hooking up a server to the internet so the software can communicate with it, I am sure its far more complex than that. I mean just last week Microsoft was having issues with smartscreen, so its not impossible. Unless you have exact proof to say Emsisoft is lying, than we really don't know for sure. All I care about anyways is they take action to improve it.

In summary, these tests are fun, but they are not the end all be all and they surely do not represent true real world usage/experiences. Personally, I believe many of these products will offer very good protection for the vast majority of users out there. I think that when choosing a product you should definitely take advantage of their trials and base your decision on that. Sure it's ok not like a product because it slowed your system/internet down, ran into some bugs, conflicted with your system, to many false positives, etc..., but I don't think you should necessarily dislike a product because it did poorly on a test, especially if it was just 1 or 2 tests.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Consistency over the last 5 years should go to Trend Micro.

Let's be honest.. They've been effective, stable, good looking and reasonably bug free in half a decade. Not many products can make that claim. Bit Defender has never been stable but has been consistent in test results through thick and thin. But those bugs are the real killer, and their pathetic, connection throttling firewall is pathetic.

Note: I don't use Trend, I am just saying they are stable and consistent, over many years.
Using Trend Micro Maximum Security since a week now, like it so much i bought a license. The program is so light and i really like the GUI. The opt out option of sending data, fast scanning and awesome BB make it one great program.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Using Trend Micro Maximum Security since a week now, like it so much i bought a license. The program is so light and i really like the GUI. The opt out option of sending data, fast scanning and awesome BB make it one great program.

Also price, support and licensing, Trend is great. They've never 'decayed' licenses. Even if you go back 15 years and have an unused Pc-Cillan license they'll convert it to a new license for you, no charge. No other company can make that claim. Trend doesn't play around.. Those $1.99 licenses on Ebay are entirely legitimate, by the way, and once registered to your account won't ever be revoked.

While I don't use Trend, there are a lot of good things that can be said about it and I generally recommend it to friends/family that want a fire and forget solution that will keep them well protected.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Also price, support and licensing, Trend is great. They've never 'decayed' licenses. Even if you go back 15 years and have an unused Pc-Cillan license they'll convert it to a new license for you, no charge. No other company can make that claim. Trend doesn't play around.. Those $1.99 licenses on Ebay are entirely legitimate, by the way, and once registered to your account won't ever be revoked.

While I don't use Trend, there are a lot of good things that can be said about it and I generally recommend it to friends/family that want a fire and forget solution that will keep them well protected.
True i bought 2 licenses on e-bay for 2 years for 5 dollar. Working perfectly. Bought them from a online Shop in the UK who is authorised reseller. Got the keys in the mail within 1 hour.

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
LOL

As many have mentioned, take this test, and these tests in general, with a grain of salt.

AV-Comparatives | Av-TEST

• DO NOT represent your real actual system
  • DO NOT give an exact percentage of protection a software would provide
  • DO NOT work as the only valid opinion when choosing a security product
  • Should only be taken as a tool to compare software but not as a decision-maker

And once again, just to make sure:

TAKE THIS TESTS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT

I simply cannot believe in these kind of tests as i smell something like $ involved so i would rather rely on our malware testers. :)

Reactions: RoboMan
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.