AV-Comparatives: Real-World Protection Test (August 2016)

R

Rod McCarthy

Seeing as they're testing with an ancient OS like Windows 7 (instead of 8/10), why even include Microsoft there?

Might as well test with Windows XP.

Ancient? I love Windows 7, but I use 10.... 7 is like the wise Father, 8 is like the retarded son, who got dropped on his head, 10 is the child who exceeds the fathers wishes in life, and unexpectedly does well.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Emsisoft, favored here by many, got 60%...YIKES !

The yellow color in the graph represents user interaction needed to decide if a particular file is trustworthy or not. This is because of Emsisoft's behaviour blocker. If users make informed decisions, it means that the Emsisoft gets 100% instead of 60.

R

Rod McCarthy

The yellow color in the graph represents user interaction needed to decide if a particular file is trustworthy or not. This is because of Emsisoft's behaviour blocker. If users make informed decisions, it means that the Emsisoft gets 100% instead of 60.

Its still at the bottom of the graph, where as BD is in first place, Emsisoft placed 19th, and is even behind Microsoft.

R

Rod McCarthy

Also on Emsisoft if you add the yellow to their 60% green score, they only got 70%...Oops no they got 60% green, and 40% yellow which is 100%.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Also on Emsisoft if you add the yellow to their 60% green score, they only got 70%
No, the yellow is not a miss, its user dependant requiring at some point "User Input"
they dock their score for that, but denote it in Yellow, the red are actual misses, and Emsisoft had no red in there.
EmsiSoft uses BD's angine so it is confusing but EmsiSoft is pretty solid. When I transitioned to Signature-less
protection I was using EmsiSoft IS and man was it awesome and light.

R

Rod McCarthy

No, the yellow is not a miss, its user dependant requiring at some point "User Input"
they dock their score for that, but denote it in Yellow, the red are actual misses, and Emsisoft had no red in there.
EmsiSoft uses BD's angine so it is confusing but EmsiSoft is pretty solid. When I transitioned to Signature-less
protection I was using EmsiSoft IS and man was it awesome and light.

Cool thanks, and what are you using now?

R

Rod McCarthy

I am currently using VoodooShield, HMAP, with a side helping of SBGuard for anti-ransom.
and HMP as my on-demand. ;)
I own A lifetime license for WAR and use it, but not while I am playing with SBG.
Thanks for asking Rod

Damn you must do most of your surfing in some of the most dangerous parts of the world like Iraq, Iran, North Korea, China, and Russia.... lol

R

Rod McCarthy

If you're referring to Emsisoft nothing got through it, yes a lot was user dependant but nothing went through it.

I agree, although a lot of people here think leaving the choosing up to the user maybe dangerous....So maybe BD or Vipre is a safer choice for most users?

Tempnexus

Level 3
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
I think the grain of salt is a good method. After all, the word salary came to be because Roman soldiers got paid with "salt". So if one takes the review with the grain of salt the one can decide onto which products one can use their salary.

Reactions: Logethica

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.