AV-Comparatives: Real-World Protection Test (August 2016)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I thing they have been missing in those tests is to check if the test system is infected or not. As we all know, threats not being detected doesn't always mean the system is infected

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Damn you must do most of your surfing in some of the most dangerous parts of the world like Iraq, Iran, North Korea, China, and Russia.... lol
How do you figure Rod ?
Thats a very lite config one of the litest here.
VS and HMPA are my main protection HMP is only the on-demand scanner.
SBGuard only changes the security policy settings to make windows more hardened.
If I were surfing more dangerous areas I would incorporate EmsiSoft or Bitdefender.
I can afford to run this config because I mainly game on this system, the most dangerous
site I visit on this PC is here and AV Comparitives, so barring any stupidity on my part
"for what I use this for" this is a very secure PC without Sig based software ;)

Reactions: Rebsat and frogboy
R

Rod McCarthy

How do you figure Rod ?
Thats a very lite config one of the litest here.
VS and HMPA are my main protection HMP is only the on-demand scanner.
SBGuard only changes the security policy settings to make windows more hardened.
If I were surfing more dangerous areas I would incorporate EmsiSoft or Bitdefender.
I can afford to run this config because I mainly game on this system, the most dangerous
site I visit on this PC is here and AV Comparitives, so barring any stupidity on my part
"for what I use this for" this is a very secure PC without Sig based software ;)

It was a joke, play on words....Surfing.... as in surfing board... Locations dangerous... Get it?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I cant surf :(
I grew up near beaches and can skate, and bike quite effectively.
The sharks worry me so Surfing was fun to impress the girls but not something I practiced regularly.
Thanks for the clarification Rod, I was confused :)

R

Rod McCarthy

I cant surf :(
I grew up near beaches and can skate, and bike quite effectively.
The sharks worry me so Surfing was fun to impress the girls but not something I practiced regularly.
Thanks for the clarification Rod, I was confused :)

Cool... But surfing and surfing the web were part of the joke... Guess joking is not my forte.... But no joke my mom did shoot the landlord off the roof when I was little in the 60's

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
A little change on the result.

All I know that Vipre is indeed good but that expectation seems surprising to almost top; meanwhile Tencent (Chinese AV) seems also improve? cause the detection capabilities are not so strong compare to Qihoo.

Anyway take the reference result as different interpretation; also AV-Comparatives will never counted yellow ratings as green since they prefer valid detection without user decision.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Cool... But surfing and surfing the web were part of the joke... Guess joking is not my forte.... But no joke my mom did shoot the landlord off the roof when I was little in the 60's
Thanks for that tid bit, I will tread lightly when dealing with you now :p

Reactions: frogboy

rhabdomantist

Mar 22, 2013
Pretty shocking results to me! Expected Avast and Windows Defender to do better than they did.. Oh well.. The results seem to fluxuate every time though take them with a grain of salt and if you want test YOURSELF on whether or not the impact and protection is good eneough for you. ;)
I don't imagine Windows Defender on Windows 7 would have been used. If so, pretty impressive for an antispyware program.

L

LabZero

Well I agree that each thread is reason of good discussion here, but honestly I wonder to myself: but who pays them? Or they work for free? :rolleyes:
However, seeing the professional and really independent results of our Hub, sometimes there is something odd here.

jadequest99

Level 3
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
Test machine: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1
Method: 346 LIVE malicious URLs

Tv4chMa.png
Wow! I'm so surprised to see Emsisoft at the bottom of the list and right behind Microsoft Windows Defender at that? I'm an Emsisoft Internet Security user and it has such high praises as one of the top antivirus & antimalware products in the market. Really shocked:eek:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.