AV-Comparatives: Real-World Protection Test (February 2016)

RmG152

Level 12
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Eset, Emsisoft, Bullguard with worse results than Avast and AVG? I don't believe.
easy:
Users:
upload_2016-3-16_20-46-36.png

Av Companies:

6eaMNF3.gif

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
easy:
Users:
View attachment 88952

Av Companies:

6eaMNF3.gif

Just because someone doesn't let videos of their testing with proof out, doesn't mean they are corrupt. They have their own technologies and set-up while testing for various software. Their methodologies might not be satisfactory and you can't compare one test with another to get the same review output, because they are testing on different environments. Every antivirus vendor pays them the same amount of money to get tested.

This is similar to any work that every other company does. They don't let anyone outside to know what they are doing, they just give the output of their work to the public or other individuals.

Just because an antivirus doesn't score good, doesn't mean it's bad or any worse than the others. It might perform better in various other tests, or if not, there's still scope for improvement which is a good thing.

Morvotron

Level 7
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
It's been a long discussion topic how AV testers are actually managed. It's no recent news.

As for the test, I'm impressed Vipre was even tested. I knew it was developing a good software, but not as to score as high as that. I do not really guide by this tests, but as well I've seen users recommend it. Might give it a try.

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Splitting detection hairs between Vipre, Trend, Emsisoft, Bitdefender, Avira... statistically, it just isn't significant in the course of typical computing.

At least you know Emsisoft's Behavior Blocker\HIPS is doing a great job from the results (yellow part of column). Anyone who has used EAM\EIS knows what I mean. Emsisoft is one of the best all the way around - with virtually no major issues.

ESET bad day. That's just how it goes sometimes.

I start doubting Emsi is still so good .....I hope you are right.
It surprises me to see how Emsi that has Bitdefender's signature+ Emsi PUP signatures+ Emsi BB and exploit protection detects less and with lot of user interaction than Bitdefender (that doesn't have the PUP of Emsi).
Trend and F-secure are not so stellar in the malware HUB.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
There should be a debate between Tavis Ormandy (along with similar-minded people) and AV testing companies. And it should be posted online. It should be interesting! :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.