Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
AV-C marzec RW test-820x693.png

http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/avc_factsheet2015_03.pdf

Last edited:

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Verified
May 25, 2014
Yep, Avira is really bad in Zero-Day malwares.

Im thinking about heading to Emsisoft or Kaspersky, depending how theyre getting in their next versions.

Avast is already developing on stuff for their 2016 versions, i would like to know what it is.

Alexstrasza

Level 4
Verified
Mar 18, 2015
Bullguard and Lavasoft use older or current Bitdefender engines, why the huge differences?
Because the BD engine only contributes to on-demand scanning (at least that's how it is in Emsisoft products). The real time protection components are all inhouse.

Reactions: JakeXPMan
H

hjlbx

Bullguard and Lavasoft use older or current Bitdefender engines, why the huge differences?

Sometimes it seems that, while an AV vendor may use a leased scan engine, the signatures may not be identical. They might be older.

That issue might be due to logistics, lease agreement terms, etc, etc.

This sort of issue has been raised regarding the detection differences between two vendors that lease the same scan engine.

Who know why that is...

Shran

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
Emsisoft's realtime protection also uses BD engine: see the BD sig (I can recognize a BD sig just from the way it's displayed) + EMSI adds (B) when its a BD dection, (A) when its an in house engine detection
Don't know about LavaSoft and Bullguard tho, they might only use BD when running a static scan
upload_2015-4-15_13-23-28.png
upload_2015-4-15_13-27-33.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-4-15_13-26-59.png
    448 KB · Views: 409
Reactions: serzt

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Avira's protection capabilities is really a super impact when samples bypass cause it does not have user interaction with BB/HIPS/even Cloud taking the file which premature and not tested.

However it doesn't mean its worst already, sometimes user reviews are accurate at all than in its testing organization.

Reactions: Piteko21

Shran

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
I have had both Avira and Kaspersky in the past. Kaspersky really slowed my system down and it created lots of work when it updated!

I've only used Avira once or twice in VMs so I cannot speak for it, but each time I've used Kaspersky on an actual machine, it slowed it to the point of being unusable; and I'm not talking about some old slow poke XP machine either. I gave Kaspersky several chances, each and every time it either crashed the system or made it unusable (or almost unusable). I'm not saying it doesn't have great protection, it does, I just simply won't ever use it because of the multiple system gunk-ups it caused.

Reactions: serzt

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.