Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
avc_factsheet2014_08_1.png

http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php?chart=chart2

http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/avc_factsheet2014_08.pdf

Striker

Level 7
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
Hmm, well done Avira. But panda, that fp rate..Avast again does bad in these tests..

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
These tests are always good for a larf :)
Amazed how Bullguard have fallen so much.

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
how bitdefender and avira detects more than 360 if 360 uses both engines?

Reactions: phyniks

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
Another test where the samples they used did not adjust for their prevalence in the real world. If this was a financial statement, the accountant would be put in jail.

FlimFlam

Level 1
Verified
Jul 18, 2014
Usually Avira sends only their internet security version to AV-Comparitives..

While Avast sends their free version.[/QU
Usually Avira sends only their internet security version to AV-Comparitives..

While Avast sends their free version.
According to AV Comparatives:
The following products (latest version available at
time of testing) were tested: AhnLab V3 Internet
Security, avast! Free Antivirus, AVG Internet Secur
ity, AVIRA Antivirus Pro, Baidu Internet Security
(English version), Bitdefender Internet Security, B
ullGuard Internet Security, Emsisoft Anti-Malware,
eScan Internet Security, ESET Smart Security, F-Sec
ure Internet Security, Fortinet FortiClient,
Kaspersky Internet Security, Kingsoft Internet Secu
rity, Lavasoft Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+, McAfee
Internet Security, Microsoft Security Essentials, P
anda Cloud Free Antivirus, Qihoo 360 Internet
Security, Sophos Endpoint Security and Control, Ten
cent QQ PC Manager, ThreatTrack Vipre Internet
Security and Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
Do those guys at those at AV Comparatives expect me to believe that? I've read enough code and I've spent enough years sitting on a chair typing to know that these tests are nothing more than a money-fed up, bizarre scam. We don't know what they do behind the scenes, we don't know what they do while "testing" a product, we do not know what contract they've made with the AV companies. Can you guys trust my following sentence?
"I am a computer expert. I'd like to tell you that Nano Antivirus is better. It performed excellent in my tests, I own an AV test company named Super Nano Antivirus Technology Inc. Ltd.©™℠ ® which is a multiple-billion dollar$ company. Can you install it from www.referencedbysupernanaoantivirustechnologyfornanoantivirus.com? Thanks. *shows stat*.

Last edited:

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
Do those guys at those at AV Comparatives expect me to believe that? I've read enough code and I've spent enough years sitting on a chair typing to know that these tests are nothing more than a money-fed up, bizarre tests. We don't know what they do behind the scenes, we don't know what they do while "testing" a product, we do not know what contract they've made with the AV companies. Can you guys trust my following sentence?
"I am a computer expert. I'd like to tell you that Nano Antivirus is better. It performed excellent in my tests, I own an AV test company named Super Nano Antivirus Technology Inc. Ltd.©™℠ ® which is a multiple-billion dollar$ company. Can you install it from www.referencedbysupernanaoantivirustechnologyfornanoantivirus.com? Thanks. *shows stat*.

They do publish their methodology: http://www.av-comparatives.org/testing-methodology/
Sure, people may disagree with their methodology. But I do not think they are biased as Austrian NGO laws are such that any money they make must be reinvested and not pocketed by the company. There is no reason for them to be biased.

Reactions: randj89

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
eset is lower than avg and e-scan?!
bitdefender 0 Fp?!
oh my god!
Good job Avira :cool:

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
eset is lower than avg and e-scan?!
bitdefender 0 Fp?!
oh my god!
Good job Avira :cool:

You have to see the settings that they used. More often than not, vendors will request them to tweak certain settings from the default, which may explain the discrepancy when you test the products yourself etc.

Update: I just checked and in this particular test, AV-C did not publish the settings used. However, in the previous real world tests they used the default settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.