omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
amazing compare i think they change their test :)

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
I wonder whether that's 360 IS or 360 TS.. 360 is right up there with the big boys and its free.
360 TS needs some fine tuning and it would be simply amazing.

Reactions: silversurfer

Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Do those guys at those at AV Comparatives expect me to believe that? I've read enough code and I've spent enough years sitting on a chair typing to know that these tests are nothing more than a money-fed up, bizarre scam. We don't know what they do behind the scenes, we don't know what they do while "testing" a product, we do not know what contract they've made with the AV companies. Can you guys trust my following sentence?
"I am a computer expert. I'd like to tell you that Nano Antivirus is better. It performed excellent in my tests, I own an AV test company named Super Nano Antivirus Technology Inc. Ltd.©™℠ ® which is a multiple-billion dollar$ company. Can you install it from www.referencedbysupernanaoantivirustechnologyfornanoantivirus.com? Thanks. *shows stat*.
NANO Antivirus
http://www.nanoav.ru/index.php?lang=en
:D

randj89

Level 4
Verified
May 7, 2014
Just don't understand why some people here trust home made test by users here and they can't trust this companies that have more methodology or documentation. They are explaining what they did plus they run this test monthly so I don't know. (Read all they do)

You don't know the users nor the company people doing this but at least you can find credentials because they are open for you. So what is it here then....

Reactions: vindiesel

randj89

Level 4
Verified
May 7, 2014
Just don't understand why some people here trust home made test by users here and they can't trust this companies that have more methodology or documentation. They are explaining what they did plus they run this test monthly so I don't know. (Read all they do)

You don't know the users nor the company people doing this but at least you can find credentials because they are open for you. So what is it here then....

PD I forgot to mention that I'm not against any tests made by home users my point here is that people faith or what they say is confusing.

Last edited:

legendcampos

Level 6
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
Avira Pro 100%, excellent heuristic

My Avast Free 97%

I not much trust in these tests, has money involved and depends on the settings, should be default configuration, the test must be done with all options at most.

Reactions: FreddyFreeloader

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014

Yup they do post their methodologies and rate the products according to that. But people still like to believe they are tampering the results for money, because their favorite AV didn't score good. :rolleyes:

randj89

Level 4
Verified
May 7, 2014
Yup they do post their methodologies and rate the products according to that. But people still like to believe they are tampering the results for money, because their favorite AV didn't score good. :rolleyes:
Exactly totally agree with you :)

phyniks

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Nov 17, 2013

Maybe because they ve seen lots of tests with different results....

Examples: Avira .... Panda .... Bitdefender .... Qihoo .... ESET

folow these AVs on "Malware Hub"

you can see ESET and Qihoo will beat the others most of the time but in the AV-C test they do not

legendcampos

Level 6
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
Anecdotally speaking, as the creator of the malware can be invisible to antivirus programs, Vírus Total clean, probably should know the vulnerabilities, beginning with the browsers.

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014

Because, do you think these guys are contracted by the AV companies to increase their score? I don't think they're gonna submit all the samples to the vendors before performing tests? Do you think they care? Because only a few thousand users are gonna see the review. At maximum. But, if it is the case of a "huge" company like AV-comparatives, they're surely gonna tamper the results. I don't trust them. I love ESET, but I didn't even think of it when writing my last post.

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
They do publish their methodology: http://www.av-comparatives.org/testing-methodology/
Sure, people may disagree with their methodology. But I do not think they are biased as Austrian NGO laws are such that any money they make must be reinvested and not pocketed by the company. There is no reason for them to be biased.
What these AV labs don't mention is how they pick their samples, and why those samples represent those actually going 'round the Internet infecting people's machines - crickets!
Bty - Kaspersky says it's easy to pass these tests because they know how to program for them.

Reactions: phyniks

randj89

Level 4
Verified
May 7, 2014
Because, do you think these guys are contracted by the AV companies to increase their score? I don't think they're gonna submit all the samples to the vendors before performing tests? Do you think they care? Because only a few thousand users are gonna see the review. At maximum. But, if it is the case of a "huge" company like AV-comparatives, they're surely gonna tamper the results. I don't trust them. I love ESET, but I didn't even think of it when writing my last post.

What these AV labs don't mention is how they pick their samples, and why those samples represent those actually going 'round the Internet infecting people's machines - crickets!
Bty - Kaspersky says it's easy to pass these tests because they know how to program for them.

Obviously you guys don't understand. I'm not defending this companies at all. I clearly intended to say how does people here believe in home made tests by other users if they don't have a methodology or documentation even more if I were to do a test of my favorite AV I could pick which samples and create my own sample pack with all the ones my AV detected. So basically there's no difference here. Furthermore we don't know each other here and we based our "trust" on what they say (home users or companies). Are you getting my point here?

The big thing here is that there's no proof of one thing or the other and honestly I don't care.... Again I'm not against or in favor of this companies I'm against misinformation and as far as I know "Yes there are some fanatics out there that will go against this companies just because their favorite AV Software did bad". Whatever... I'm not being mean here.... See the reality.

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
The funny part is that when you install any AV security software on your system, it is automatically spying on you and giving out information about yourself. lol Stop being fanboys and discredit every single test that is done out there.

Reactions: randj89

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
May I ask how does an AV "spy" on us?

It's usually the 'Join xxx antivirus User Experience Improvement Program' that he/she was talking about.

http://www.av-test.org/en/statistics/malware/

Look at the chart for last 12 months.Still a doubt about the flaws? As I said,any tests these days is useless.I still dont understand why someone would argue over a drop in bucket type test.

This type of testing is getting more and more problematic.

In all tests only 'samples' will be taken and results will be published according to these samples, just like the surveys that's been done. You can't go into the wild and capture and test with all the malware prevalent in the real world.

And scores will then be published according to the results from these samples. What these independent testing sites is not to say 'X' is better than 'Y' but provide a comparative result between various antiviruses, according to the samples they tested with and with the methodology they used.

Ultimately all it does is to provide some sort of info for the user. But generally what the ignorant ones decode from these tables is that

1. 'X' scored better than 'Y' so am going to switch my antivirus to the 'better' one.
2. 'X' my favorite didn't score better so these tests are flawed.
3. 'X' scored better in my tests, but not in theirs, so they work in pay-to-score model.

ا

الشمس

i trust av-comparatives as much as i trust malware tips as much as i trust virus total :cool:

users are disappointed when the anti-virus they are using is shown in bad light...

& then these users claim av-comparatives is corrupt :eek:

if a doctor diagnoses you to have cancer you cure the cancer you do not tell the doctor that cancer bribed him ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.