AVAST 2014 R2 Beta1 (9.0.2009) 12/2/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim lin

Level 8
Thread author
Aug 6, 2012
AVAST 2014 R2 BETA1 (build number 9.0.2009)

We're introducing several important pieces in this release:
* GrimeFighter -- performs a scan to identify ways to speed up, clean up, and better protect your PC. GrimeFighter will run the scan and show you where
you can improve the performance of your PC. It then sedates your PC and performs all of the cleaning functions. This need feature is a result of our
acquisition of Jumpshot earlier this year. It is an early stage integration into our user interface and we really need your feedback on it :)
IMPORTANT NOTE: DON'T RUN GRIMEFIGHTER ON WINDOWS 8/8.1, ENCRYPTED OR RAID DISKS! WE WILL FIX THESE ISSUES SOON...

* SavePrice -- we added a new function to the browser plugins that helps you save money when you are shopping online. It finds better prices for items you
are searching for. At the moment, Chrome, Firefox, and Safari are supported. Internet Explorer should be supported in the near future.

* avast! tutorial -- for users who run avast! trials, a tutorial is now available explaining all the great things avast! can do to protect your PC

* Stream Filtering -- a completely rewritten function that is part of the new Web Shield launched in v2014. The three main components of Stream Filtering are
a rewritten scanner, new kernel mode inspection techniques, and a new HTTP parser. All of these functions lead to more effective detections of threats

* Firewall -- most importantly, we the previous issues with Java have been solved. The firewall should be more stable and with better compatibility with other
network applications

Known issues
- Ignoring process or specifying “well know browsers only” has not effect
- Redirect settings in troubleshooting have no effect
- USB rescue disk sometimes fail
- avastClear not localized to all languages
- IE plugin compatibility problem with IE 11
- Some coloring issues in IE and FF plugin
- no localizations have been updated yet - so there are some English texts in non-English versions; that's normal, no need to report that

It should be possible to install this version on top of your existing avast! installation (all settings should be preserved).

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=141705.0

wow i still see a lot of people having trouble with there last version like some software picking up on this Emergency Update and people not knowing what to do
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=140730.0

and "spam"
"Why is Avast spamming??? Avasting a new feature??"
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=122481.0

and now thay add more things in to the program

makes you wonder where Avast is heading

:)

James

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
RE: AVAST 2014 R2 Beta1 (9.0.2009) 10/2/13

Seems they just love adding that bloat, Avast is quickly becoming junk.

jim lin

Level 8
Thread author
Aug 6, 2012
RE: AVAST 2014 R2 Beta1 (9.0.2009) 10/2/13

could a mod change the date of my post please i can't seem to edit my post?

it was late at nite for me when i posted and i was half asleep lol

12/2/13

thanks

James

"never mind the edit button came back and i changed the date"

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I hate hearing the bad news because I recommend Avast for most people (the free edition)

jim lin

Level 8
Thread author
Aug 6, 2012
Avast closed the other link to this Beta and VLK started a new one ?

INTRODUCING: NEW Avast 2014 "R2" Beta (2014.9.0.2009)

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=141743.0

James

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Are avast ever going to get their program right?

more bluescreens etc.

plus adding bloatware like grimefighter.

Certainly not the right direction to be taking.At least older versions receive updates still.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Amiga500 said:
Are avast ever going to get their program right?

more bluescreens etc.

plus adding bloatware like grimefighter.

Certainly not the right direction to be taking.At least older versions receive updates still.

Once again you can blame the fanboys for requesting this extra bloat, however I'm sure a custom installation will let you remove components that you don't want.

Of coarse some of these bloatware features are helpful to some users. Every user has different needs and wants.

It is becoming a common practice for security software vendors to keep adding bloatware to their products and will probably get much worse in the future. That's why many users have move to Microsoft products.

MSE /Windows Defender, simple, lite, no bloatware, no false positives, no compatibility problems, never has to be tweaked and does a decent job.

UAC and SmartScreen will fill in the gaps not covered by MSE /Windows Defender along with common sense.

Thanks. :D

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Apparently grimefighter won't be in any of the products. It's going to be a separate paid service. They wanted to test it out on the beta. There will be one of those links in the actual program but that can be removed as well. Still kind of lame to be dumping that in a beta test.

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Littlebits, I think you cracked the code there. "It's the fanboys." More precisely, it's the company being dumb. I think I know what's happening, and that may be true with Comodo too?

Fanboy likes Brand. He (or she, of course) is perfectly happy with the program. Then comes Brand asking, "How could we make this better?" There's nothing wrong with that. But then come the fanboys, "Gee, Brand is so handy to me, what if it could also update my apps, check my email safely, clean up my registry?" The thing here is, for the fanboys, since they like the product and the Brand so much, they think it would be awesome if the product had a few more whistles and bells, and the Brand thinks it would make their users even happier, how could it not?

But it can, it happens, and it happens most of the time. Both the (relatively very few) fanboys and the regular users like the Brand because it solves a certain problem for them. When you start to add whistles and bells just for the heck of it, you complicate the job, suddenly you have a bug that could simply not be there. And those things can slow things down, or complicate it for the user, so Brand runs the risk here of leaving a lot of regular users unhappy just for the sake of a few fanboys, and that's not the fanboys' fault, it's just poor planning.

G

Guest28

I think it is amazing how many other's on avast forums don't know what the term *BETA* even means. I do agree avast should have made grimefighter a stand-alone beta. Anyone, running this beta hows this new improved web shield? Does it really improve detections?

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
It's supposed to be a side stream web shield. Not really sure what that means but it's supposed to improve detection. Hopefully they ironed out the rest of the bugs.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
ryan said:
I think it is amazing how many other's on avast forums don't know what the term *BETA* even means. I do agree avast should have made grimefighter a stand-alone beta. Anyone, running this beta hows this new improved web shield? Does it really improve detections?

Grimefighter is a stand alone optional product.Avast only shows a pointer to the product within its interface.

Its a great antivirus and it doesnt need this extra tool.

Incidentally they have removed the transparent proxy in the webshield .

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.