Update Avast Adopts Privacy-by-Design Strategy, Appoints New CPO

McMcbrad

Level 20
Oct 16, 2020

Shane McNamee as Chief Privacy Officer. McNamee will oversee Avast's global privacy strategy and drive the company’s privacy-by-design approach.

McNamee has over seven years’ experience in regulatory and digital policy, focusing on data protection and digital rights in a number of high profile organizations, and the Data Protection Commission of Ireland. He has worked extensively on policy, research, and public awareness and has spoken and published on a range of complex topics including digital rights, fintech, software licensing, genetic research, and evolving and interconnected data protection regimes.

McMcbrad

Level 20
Oct 16, 2020
In Avast’s fairness, their data collection policies weren’t hidden in a spyware sort of way.

JasonUK

Level 1
Apr 14, 2020
It'll take a while for their reputation to be cleaned but their antivirus keeps doing the talking with consistently good results and all the data sharing/privacy options are easily configured. Just installing their four core components (& the extra ransomshield if you think its worth it) with their free product offers decent cover for nothing. Yes there's the odd nag but you're getting something for nothing so is that unfair? I've not seen anything that I would class as 'scare tactics'. I've still got Avast Free running on one laptop although I'm giving KIS a spin on my main computer at the moment.

Cortex

Level 25
Verified
Aug 4, 2016
In the opting opt out box, I always thought it was interesting the in box was bright green (safe) and optout was grey - To the average Joes & Joanna's of this world they would maybe go for the green without understanding the implications of their choice & designed that way - Good move though from Avast, peoples actions must be hurting them, & that's good.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Content Creator
Jul 13, 2014
I think the Avast privacy scandal, underlines the practices that many other security companies use. Most security products, and in that case antivirus or security suites upload your data at some point. You can find lots of details in their privacy policies telling you that they anonymize the data, that they "may" share your data with "verified" third parties and that sometimes infected uploaded files and documents can contain private and personal info and so on.It is not just about Avast like some may think.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Content Creator
Jul 13, 2014
Avast at least gives you a choice to disable sharing of data. In the free version it informs you that it will use your data to keep the product free. Some other products, for example McAfee doesn't even have the option to disable data sharing. Avira who talks a lot about privacy, a few years before was using the Ask toolbar, a well known PUP. The company developing the Cyberghost Vpn has been providing and developing Ads.And the list can go on.
I am interested to see the future of this new Avast project.