Not open for further replies.

Captain Awesome

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 7, 2016
Avast Software CEO, Vince Steckler, announces the completion of the acquisition of a majority stake in AVG Technologies.
In July, we announced our plan to acquire AVG Technologies. Today, I am proud to announce the completion of the acquisition of a majority stake in AVG. So we will operate as a single company as of Monday, October 3, 2016. I would like to extend a warm welcome to the AVG team, AVG customers, as well as carrier and channel partners, and I am eager to tell you about our plans for the next few months.

For nearly 30 years, AVG and Avast have grown up side by side, providing great security products to hundreds of millions of users around the world for free. Our similarities will make integrating AVG and Avast smooth and uncomplicated. We will continue to offer and support both the AVG and Avast branded products, and are transforming into a full service security company with the largest consumer installed base in the world and a significant SMB Business, and Mobile Enterprise business.

So what are we gaining through this acquisition?

We now provide unprecedented protection for our users. This is possible by expanding our user base to more than 400 million users worldwide, 160 million of which are mobile users. With our user base nearly doubling, we now have the most advanced threat detection network in the world. Our security technology runs in the cloud, based on a vast machine learning network. Each of our endpoints running our products acts as a sensor for malicious files and activities. Suspicious files are sent to our cloud servers, where they are subjected to a thorough check, possibly involving running the files in a virtual machine, machine learning analysis, and other proprietary checks. Our technology determines whether or not a file is malicious. If our artificial intelligence technology determines that a file is malicious, it pushes this information to our cloud servers, resulting in full protection of our more than 400 million users, in nearly real time.

With each endpoint, we acquire insights into the current threat landscape and can therefore better protect our customers. With acquiring AVG, we now prevent around one billion malware attacks, block more than 500 million malicious URLs and around 50 million phishing attacks per month, and handle around 9 million new executable files every month, 25% of which are malicious.

In addition, the cross pollination of technologies and the addition of talent to our Threat Labs will make us more robust than ever before, so you can worry less about security threats. We now have stronger capacities to create specialized task forces that will be dedicated to new threats targeting mobile devices and Internet of Things devices in our homes, as well as the current ravaging threats like ransomware.

Read more
:https://blog.avast.com/avast-and-avg-become-one

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
We are also further expanding our protection capabilities by adding IDP – Online Process Monitoring technology, which empowers us to detect threats before they can do any harm. Additionally, we are adding AVG’s advanced front-end detection solution to our strong machine learning technology and cloud-based solutions.

What does this mean for the average user who will not understand these terms?

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
We are also further expanding our protection capabilities by adding IDP – Online Process Monitoring technology, which empowers us to detect threats before they can do any harm. Additionally, we are adding AVG’s advanced front-end detection solution to our strong machine learning technology and cloud-based solutions.

This is the only thing that I hope to see in Avast after buying AVG.
VERY GOOD!

Fuzzfas

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 8, 2013
an interesting combination, hoping to see good things coming out of this acquisition.
with win 10 built-in AV being so good i wonder if vendors will up their games in order to convince people of installing their products.

Of course they will! Registry cleaner, defragmenter, tune up utility, overclock option, PC resources widget, online store app and so much more! The sky is the limit! :mad: :eek: Or should i say, the "Cloud is the limit"?

Seriously, simple test, even better if you have a secondary HDD: Try to navigate through series of folders you have as fast as possible. Fast clicking. Same for opening "Control Panel-System and Security". Do it many times, so to get the hang of the responsiveness.

Now uninstall your antivirus and repeat. The difference to me is obvious. In my case, the much vaunted Process Lasso also adds a little lag. My PC runs much better without.

Conclusion: The antiviruses require a high toll for what they offer. I found the combination of:
NVT ERP or Voodooshield + WinPatrol + TinyWall noticeably lighter. My desktop experience is very much improved and everything is lightning fast.

Keep adding crap and slowing down gentelemen. Until the day that you will shut down business...

Last edited:

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
After Avast buying AVG it was expected that Avast would implement IDP in their product.

I think that Avast's behavioural blocker didn't performed as good as they hoped.
Some components of AVG have shown their good performance the last few years and one of them is IDP.

So buying AVG to implement these components i think is a good move from Avast.

The only thing is left to see is that if they will offer these components to their free product.

Or only to paid:cool:?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Much better acquisition compare to Symantec where they bought PC Tools and lately didn't survive in AV product.

AVG (Antivirus Guard) is already built with trust of users worldwide so for Avast, technically speaking the benefits of that is on geographical location where information to gather will expand for rapid detection.

However Avast incorporate more on useful components than AVG but let's see.

Actually it's more on monopoly base, because of the competition will be control; who will lead on the rankings.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
It can only mean one thing rest in peace AVG ( the brand name ) Idp Will be in the paid versions only ofcourse , knowing avast! It's a pitty to see that if one product in the region Cannot hack it , it's competitor , in this case AVG has to take the fall in all fairness it is way better ( detection / protection Wise ) and it has way less crapware crammed into it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.