Umar.18

Level 2
Avast has plenty of privacy problems but I dont know if this premise is right (spying on via webcam); I am almost sure that it isnt the case.

This Kaspersky protection is generic, it is simple blocking any access to the webcam for applications on the untrusted group.

@Umar.18 Are you using the default Kaspersky settings? If so it is strange that this Avast executable file is on the untrusted group.
Even if it is not harmful the question is why it requires access to webcam anyway.

Can U send this file ?
I want SUD it to Vendors :D
Unfortunately, I have removed it.

Yeah sure they will keep an eye on you and will call police or even military if any thief or burglar breaks into your house:p:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.
You nailed it. Avast is committed to provide you physical security as well. They will protect homes and physical infrastructure by webcam surveillance.

Nightwalker

Level 18
Verified
Content Creator
Even if it is not harmful the question is why it requires access to webcam anyway.
It didnt required access to webcam, it was preventively blocked because of Kaspersky rules (avast executable missing valid digital signature?).
Even with that alert It doesnt mean that Avast executable actually tried to request webcam access.

Check this kind of alert and notice the group settings in your Kaspersky app:

Grupo confiável: Não confíavel = Trust group: Untrusted

Last edited:

Nightwalker

Level 18
Verified
Content Creator
Without the file from his PC (not from another machine) it is all speculation, but anyone can try the following:

Change any executable to the untrusted group and you will see that it will be blocked in the webcam protection module ...

Sem título.jpg

All I can say is that oversee.exe isnt trying to access the webcam, to say otherwise is a lack of knowledge of how Kaspersky works.
Maybe he is using a cracked/illegal version (notice the lack of the icon) that made the digital signature invalid, it can be a lot of things and like I said, without the file it is all speculation.

Being inquisite is nice, but spreading FUD is not.

Point is: Avast isnt trying to access your webcam.

Last edited:

Raiden

Level 13
Verified
Content Creator
All I can say is that oversee.exe isnt trying to access the webcam, to say otherwise is a lack of knowledge of how Kaspersky works.
Maybe he is using a cracked/illegal version (notice the lack of the icon) that made the digital signature invalid, it can be a lot of things and like I said, without the file it is all speculation.

That's a very fair point and spot on, thanks for the clarification!(y)

I think in large part Avast's reputation when it comes to privacy has been spotty at best recently. If they know that people are suspicious of them and they are questioning why things like this Overseer exe is always being left behind when you uninstall Avast/AVG, you'd figure that if they weren't doing things on purpose, then they would make every effort to make sure that the uninstaller removes this file. I think they can resolve a lot of issues and a lot of speculation if they would just remove the file when it's being uninstalled.

For me it's also their attitude as a company. I know this particular file has come up before, especially when it comes to uninstalling Avast/AVG. They took the time to explain it and what it's for, but they also were acting like "meh, this is our explanation, but we aren't going to do anything about it", type attitude, well at least that's how I took it.:p So I think it's things like this that are driving people crazy and it's why some people are like I'm not using any of their products any more.

Upendra19

Level 2
Without the file from his PC (not from another machine) it is all speculation, but anyone can try the following:

Change any executable to the untrusted group and you will see that it will be blocked in the webcam protection module ...

View attachment 211210

View attachment 211211

There is another problem with me. I have uninstalled avast from my laptop but overseer was still sending data to avast even there is no any avast product on my pc.

Milosh

From Avast
Verified
Developer
As pointed above by Nightwalker, Avast Overseer doesn't access the Webcam. The reason for Overseer to be there is to merely make sure Avast works properly and when it encounters issues it attempts to repair them. Therefore taking care of situation when Avast stops working - for whatever reason - and user thinks he/she is protected but is actually not. And since we (yes I'm from Avast) have no other way or means to contact such user to remedy the situation, we introduced the Overseer.
Hope it helps
Milos

Umar.18

Level 2
As pointed above by Nightwalker, Avast Overseer doesn't access the Webcam. The reason for Overseer to be there is to merely make sure Avast works properly and when it encounters issues it attempts to repair them. Therefore taking care of situation when Avast stops working - for whatever reason - and user thinks he/she is protected but is actually not. And since we (yes I'm from Avast) have no other way or means to contact such user to remedy the situation, we introduced the Overseer.
Hope it helps
Milos
With due respect Sir, what is the point in running the file even after uninstalling Avast? In my opinion it must be removed as part of uninstallation, in a same way as it was part of the installation. Even if the file is not removed it must be configured not to run after the concerned software is not present on host machine. This behavior must be changed.

No one here is against the company. But highlighting shady practices is right of everyone. Anyone can share opinions and experiences here. There is no point in collecting telemetry data when the concerned software is not present on machine. @Nightwalker It was not moved to restricted group anyways. The file is from legitimate installation of AVG and not from a counterfeit piece of software.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff member
Malware Hunter
My humble opinion is that the access took place... even if that file/application was in UnTrusted and was blocked (becasue of default rules for UnTrusted applications), if that file appears as blocked in WebCam Protection module, then the access took place... not all UnTrusted files/applications appear as blocked in that module... unless they try to access to that resource...

Now, the question is: that access was just to check hardware specs or to collect data? that's the main point here, I think :unsure::unsure:

Update: also, that file from Avast should be properly digitally signed, if not, then probably will be put in some of the restriction groups...

Last edited: