Umar.18

Level 2
My humble opinion is that the access took place... even if that file/application was in UnTrusted and was blocked (becasue of default rules for UnTrusted applications), if that file appears as blocked in WebCam Protection module, then the access took place... not all UnTrusted files/applications appear as blocked in that module... unless they try to access to that resource...

Now, the question is: that access was just to check hardware specs or to collect data? that's the main point here, I think :unsure::unsure:
100 Agree and endorse the point raised by @harlan4096

Great! Also do something about those ads saying your "Your PC is at risk buy Secureline Vpn" even paid users gets these ads. Most users already have vpn of their choice installed on their system. Same for cleanup premium.
Running a smart scan must not urge users to buy premium software when they are already using one. We want Avast antivirus as security software without any VPN or Cleanup type bloatware.

Upendra19

Level 2
As pointed above by Nightwalker, Avast Overseer doesn't access the Webcam. The reason for Overseer to be there is to merely make sure Avast works properly and when it encounters issues it attempts to repair them. Therefore taking care of situation when Avast stops working - for whatever reason - and user thinks he/she is protected but is actually not. And since we (yes I'm from Avast) have no other way or means to contact such user to remedy the situation, we introduced the Overseer.
Hope it helps
Milos
But after uninstall why does overseer send data? Though i didn't get message about overseer accessing my webcam but it was sending data to avast, Why!!!

Milosh

From Avast
Verified
Developer
But after uninstall why does overseer send data? Though i didn't get message about overseer accessing my webcam but it was sending data to avast, Why!!!
Because offline uninstall would mean we have no information about it happening. Or when the AV is "disappeared" in other way . Say user performs a restore point to a time when Avast was not yet installed. Would that mean he/she doesn't want the protection or merely and unintentionally fixing other issue with WinOS? Anyway, as mentioned above, we are addressing it.

Raiden

Level 13
Verified
Content Creator
As pointed above by Nightwalker, Avast Overseer doesn't access the Webcam. The reason for Overseer to be there is to merely make sure Avast works properly and when it encounters issues it attempts to repair them. Therefore taking care of situation when Avast stops working - for whatever reason - and user thinks he/she is protected but is actually not. And since we (yes I'm from Avast) have no other way or means to contact such user to remedy the situation, we introduced the Overseer.
Hope it helps
Milos
HI @Milosh,

Thanks for joining and trying to help clarify the situation. I have to agree with my fellow forum members that while it's all good to have it to ensure Avast is working properly, there's no need for it if AVG/Avast are uninstalled. I guess the annoying thing is that this particular issue (overseer being left after uninstall) has been brought to your (Avast's) attention before. I don't know why people have to get upset before things happen, but Imo this should have been addressed the first time around. ;)

Point taken. The change is underway.

I'm very glad to hear that this is being addressed, but as I've mentioned above, if you don't want any further misunderstandings or frustrations in the future, these things need to be addressed the first time they are brought up. Don't wait for people to get angry before something has to happen.(y)

Last edited:

spaceoctopus

Level 15
Verified
Content Creator
I can understand that Avast! needs telemetry and data to improve their products. But lets forget about Avast! wanting to watch you through your webcam, walking with you string or boxer short in the room.

When you uninstall a product from your Pc, you expect that there is no processes active on your Pc. There will be junk files and registry keys remaining on your machine, as 100% cleanup is very often impossible. So what is wrong with Avast! ?
You uninstall their product, and you get the overseer.exe continuing to send data to mothership...to improve future release and maintenance.:unsure: At least you ask the user if they want to keep it for example. It is just some shady practice and deceptive tricks to harvest more data from users. It reminds me of Iobit softwares leaving some active processes on the system. I don't know if they've stopped doing it.

Raiden

Level 13
Verified
Content Creator
100 Agree and endorse the point raised by @harlan4096

Running a smart scan must not urge users to buy premium software when they are already using one. We want Avast antivirus as security software without any VPN or Cleanup type bloatware.
I agree, but it's the unfortunate side of using a free product. I agree that the wording needs to change as it's very much a scare tactic the way it's currently written IMO. I personally think that Avast should seriously consider getting rid of the free version and make it paid only. This would be the only way that Avast would be able to get rid of the ads and hopefully the unnecessary data mining. As long as there's a free version that does 98% of what the paid version does, no one really wants to buy the paid version as they can get 98% of the features/protection by using the free version.

spaceoctopus

Level 15
Verified
Content Creator
Don't get me wrong. I've been using avast! Since it was a car radio, with a blue rotating ball in the task bar...and with that nuclear alert detection sound.

Today it has among the best features and detection rates, but all these are overshadowed by some shady stuffs. When discovered, it is always a bug. Or they are taking care of there customers feedback and will improve the product. And the irony is that they offer a VPN and Anti-tracking service.:censored:

Umar.18

Level 2
Don't get me wrong. I've been using avast! Since it was a car radio, with a blue rotating ball in the task bar...and with that nuclear alert detection sound.

Today it has among the best features and detection rates, but all these are overshadowed by some shady stuffs. When discovered, it is always a bug. Or they are taking care of there customers feedback and will improve the product. And the irony is that they offer a VPN and Anti-tracking service.:censored:
100% true. I myself remember those cool days of avast 4.8.

RejZoR

Level 12
Verified
100% true. I myself remember those cool days of avast 4.8.
I do, but kinda prefer not to. Despite their best efforts, it had somewhat mediocre protection and the interface was quite a mess. Sure, today it has some more nags, but as whole, they stepped up the interface game and for last few months it has been the top performer in protection. Two of most important things when it comes to antiviruses imo.

roger_m

Level 25
Verified
Content Creator
@omidomi i It's just a false positive, so nothing to be concerend about. But, it's important to note that usually, it's a very bad idea to be running two or more antiviruses on the same system. Doing so can issues such as slowdowns, crashes and even blue screens of death. So it's best to either stick with Dr.Web, or if you want to use Avast, uninstall Dr.Web first.

If you uninstall Dr.Web, be sure to run their removal tool afterwards, to ensure that it is completey removed. Just as having two antiviruses installed can cause issues, you could also have issues if there are some components of Dr.Web that did not get removed when you uninstalled it. Using the removal tool, will make sure that all traces of Dr.Web are removed.

omidomi

Level 68
Verified
Trusted
Malware Hunter
@omidomi i It's just a false positive, so nothing to be concerend about. But, it's important to note that usually, it's a very bad idea to be running two or more antiviruses on the same system. Doing so can issues such as slowdowns, crashes and even blue screens of death. So it's best to either stick with Dr.Web, or if you want to use Avast, uninstall Dr.Web first.

If you uninstall Dr.Web, be sure to run their removal tool afterwards, to ensure that it is completey removed. Just as having two antiviruses installed can cause issues, you could also have issues if there are some components of Dr.Web that did not get removed when you uninstalled it. Using the removal tool, will make sure that all traces of Dr.Web are removed.
Hi
Yes I know it, but dose it really those files are malwares?:rolleyes:
and another thing I hear that Avast work beside another Avs, passive mode:unsure:

Omidomi, this happens frequently, one security product detecting another, if you downloaded Avast from their site then most likely it is just a false positive. Next time turn off Dr, Web when installing or updating.
Good idea :)

roger_m

Level 25
Verified
Content Creator
Yes I know it, but dose it really those files are malwares?:rolleyes:
A false positive, means that it's not malware.
aanother thing I hear that Avast work beside another Avs, passive mode:unsure:
Yes, it seems that Avast should install in PassiveMmode, since you already have Dr.Web installed.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 16
Verified
Malware Tester
What might have happened is Dr WEB (LAB) might have analyzed the culprit behaviour of avast installation and its after ill effects such as un authorized accesses..
They are alreaday too stubborn and their staunch AV policy finally made them to add it to un wanted list.

No surprises..only Kudos :)