New Update Avast Antitrack eats up my whole computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

archimod

Thread author
Oct 26, 2018
Yesterday I got a message from Avast advertizing their new Antitracking software. Sounded like a good idea, so I went ahead and bought it. Shortly after installing it I was unable to connect to any website, or indeed to do much else. Task monitor showed the Avast Antitrack Filter was using 50% of my CPU and most of my RAM. All attempts to sign on to a website (BBC, facebook, etc) timed out, although the icon showed LAN was working. Admittedly, my PC is not state-of-the-art, but an older HP I bought a year ago. However, it has served to write with Word and surf the web until now. Once I disabled the Avast Antitrack software, I could surf normally. Users beware: it might be a nice idea, but this antitracker is VERY EXPENSIVE in terms of CPU time and storage.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Maybe try process lasso,there is a free version,maybe it will help regulate the antitrack filter,gl

Reactions: vtqhtr413
E

Eddie Morra

It's always a good idea to test things out before purchasing - assuming they let you do this with Antitrack. Nonetheless, if you're concerned about tracking, you might want to re-think the vendor you're relying on, because they are no where near the best when it comes to privacy in my opinion.

The AdGuard browser extension has anti-tracker features and it is free, and there's the DuckDuckGo browser extension which is also free. You may be interested in either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Avast Team

From Avast
Verified
Developer
Apr 23, 2018
Yesterday I got a message from Avast advertizing their new Antitracking software. Sounded like a good idea, so I went ahead and bought it. Shortly after installing it I was unable to connect to any website, or indeed to do much else. Task monitor showed the Avast Antitrack Filter was using 50% of my CPU and most of my RAM. All attempts to sign on to a website (BBC, facebook, etc) timed out, although the icon showed LAN was working. Admittedly, my PC is not state-of-the-art, but an older HP I bought a year ago. However, it has served to write with Word and surf the web until now. Once I disabled the Avast Antitrack software, I could surf normally. Users beware: it might be a nice idea, but this antitracker is VERY EXPENSIVE in terms of CPU time and storage.

Archimod -- did you contact our support team about this? I'd really like for them to work directly with you so we can get to the bottom of what's happening here. This does not sound like the app is behaving as it should. Here's a link to the support form, you'll select AntiTrack Premium, describe the issues, and our tech support team will be in touch. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Reactions: Eddie Morra
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.