Avast detects Auslogics Disk Defrag 7.2.0.1 as FileRepMalware?

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Feb 12, 2017
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Kaspersky
I restored my parents laptop and wanted to install the latest Auslogics Disk Defrag but Avast blocks the installation file and says it is a FileRepMalware. What does this mean?

I must admit I'm a bit scared :oops:

venustus

Level 43
Content Creator
Verified
Dec 30, 2012
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Kaspersky
I restored my parents laptop and wanted to install the latest Auslogics Disk Defrag but Avast blocks the installation file and says it is a FileRepMalware. What does this mean?

I must admit I'm a bit scared :oops:
It means that Avast is alerting you that the installer comes bundled with adware!;)

Apr 1, 2017
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
ESET
Sep 26, 2017
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Avast
Auslogics and Iobit are well know for they adware (and also some shady practices).
I remember when iobit have "steal" some databases from malwarebytes, without permission...

Always use with care both...
Also, for defrag, just use the windows one ;)

Feb 12, 2017
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Kaspersky
I scanned the file with virustotal and even big/recognized companies like ESET, Malwarebytes and Sophos detects the file as virus. This is waaay shady for me and I would never use a software like this.

I never trust Auslogics because they contain hidden adware :)just don't use it because there are better alternatives like o&o (free).
I can see that O&O Defrag Free Edition is outdated, so that's a no-go for me.

Nevertheless, from past some years many Antivirus & Anti Malware vendors have started to detect PUP/ PUA on high priority basis.
I see this as a positive thing. No companies should install ads/toolbars without the users permission.

Now the best defrag software for windows already comes preinstalled with your O.S ,Windows Defragmenter, and the one built in Windows 8.1 & Windows 10 feature latest defrag technologies. So there is no need to go for any 3rd party vendor defrag software.

But still if you want to go in for one , you can always use Defraggler by Piriform.
I do like Windows Defragmenter but it doesn't defrag files bigger than 64MB so I installed Defraggler by Piriform and it does a solid job.

Attachments

Apr 13, 2014
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
G-Data
ESET flags it, also..... Has "Boost Speed" bundled up in it.
Defraggler is fantastic!
Iobit Smart Defrag is great, also. (optimizes with a "pro" key) available anywhere on the WWW

Jul 28, 2013
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Avast
Yes when I was using Avast Premier it blocked it. Now I noticed Windows Defender with pups enabled blocks it to. I've noticed a few months ago the Filehippo removed it from their site, so there must be some truth that their installer contains malware in it.

Jan 14, 2016
Operating System
Windows 7
Installed Antivirus
Kaspersky
Yes when I was using Avast Premier it blocked it. Now I noticed Windows Defender with pups enabled blocks it to. I've noticed a few months ago the Filehippo removed it from their site, so there must be some truth that their installer contains malware in it.
Yes, they have bundled software (adware) which is bad. Use it at your own risk.
What are you talking about filehippo removed it? I always download Auslogics, Piriform & Wise products from filehippo & they have never removed it except for Ccleaner 5.33.