Avast Driver Updater...?!

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55474
  • Start date
F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Thread author
Hello I have purchased a new computer a few days ago, and now at my first scan(with Malwarebytes) it says that I have Generic Malware in another security product: Avast Driver Updater downloaded from Avast own site, I do not know what to think, please help, could it be a false positive?:cry:

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Thread author
Hello, and thanks for answering so quickly: No it is the program itself Malwarebytes want to quarantine, and I find very hard to believe, how can I find out for sure, it sounds like Malwarebytes is not the best detection wise.;)

Antus67

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Nov 3, 2019
Hello, and thanks for answering so quickly: No it is the program itself Malwarebytes want to quarantine, and I find very hard to believe, how can I find out for sure, it sounds like Malwarebytes is not the best detection wise.;)
Nothing is perfect however you can check the driver out with BitDefender on line scan. If you downloaded it from Avast official web site it appears to be a false/positive but again play safe and scan with another AV

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Thread author
Hello, just scanned with VirusTotal: 20 positives, I do not know what to do :rolleyes:

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Avast Driver Updater is part of avast paid , so its just a FP from MBAM

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Got some time before food and tried to download hXXps://www.avast.com/de-de/driver-updater . Finally I knew H_C is working :D
Windows Defender Antivirus has detected malware or other potentially unwanted software.
For more information please see the following:
Name: Misleading:Win32/Lodi!MSR
ID: 260123
Severity: High
Category: Potentially Unwanted Software
Seems like a PUS (Novice opinion here)
The 20 VT positives are as a PUS or as Trojan/virus?

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
It's harmless, but often, driver updaters and cleaning tools, are detected as PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) and sometimes, as was your case, wrongly detected as malware.

I don't recommend using Avast (or AVG) Driver Updater, which is a rebrand of DriverUpdate from Slimware Utilities, as it finds far fewer driver updates than many other such tools. For example, IObit's Driver Booster, will usually find a lot more driver updates.

Last edited:

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
I do like Driver Booster. Especially when upgrading drivers for old laptops/desktop computers. Yes there's free alternatives, like snappy driver installer origin, but its slower and i dont like the GUI of it. I have several old laptops(2010-2013). One of them is Samsung Series 3 with AMD APU6 cpu/gpu. Installed windows 10. Windows update finds correct CPU/GPU drivers for it. But when installing, screen goes black and the puter freezes.
The same with Driver Booster, Snappy and old Catalyst drivers. All freezes the puter when installing the APU drivers. Tried DDU in safe mode, and then installing drivers again. No success. Oh well...then i installed Linux Mint Mate 19.3. Everything works just fine, hw acceleration enabled out of the box.

Reactions: Outpost

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Malwarebytes want to quarantine, and I find very hard to believe, how can I find out for sure,
Hello, just scanned with VirusTotal: 20 positives, I do not know what to do :rolleyes:
I would recommend submit the file to a few AV companies/vendors that don't enforce any sort of site registration and don't forget to add an email for better feedback/information.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
In my opinion, Avast Driver Updater is safe. I think maybe you should get the latest version though, maybe that's why Malware scan detected it.
Maybe it is detected, because Avast has a long history of not respecting privacy and therefore is detected as PUP.
It is safe. The only reason it is detected, is because Malwarebytes often classifies software such as driver updaters and junk cleaners as PUPs. It has got absolutely nothing to do with any possible privacy concerns. IObit's Driver Booster gets detected too, but not because IObit stole their malware definitions, it's just because of their aggressive detection of PUPs which they started a few years ago.
ADU is one of the safest driver updaters I can vouch for. Check out more information here about it's Pros :Avast Driver Updater - Best review Pros and Cons Nov, 2019
It may well be safe, but it does an abysmal job of finding driver updates. Not only do most alternatives find more driver updates, but in spite of its limited driver database, its accuracy at finding the correct drivers is not very good. For example, the free version of Driver Booster, will usually find significantly more drivers and it is much better at finding the correct drivers. The review you linked to, like many reviews these days is laughable. One of the cons they list is "No support for MacOS, Linux, iOS, Android." You don't need driver update software for any of those operating systems.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.