Avast failed to protect but qihoo 360 saved my pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

maanastr

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 1, 2013
Since last year I am using Qihoo 360 Total Security without having any serious problem with security. But few days ago I got Avast Internet security 2016 key. Before this I've heard about Avast, so that I thought that I must try Avast to see how good it is. So on the 1'st feb of this year I installed Avast. But yesterday I've got an incident that proved my decision of installing avast was wrong.
Last night my PC was infected by virus via one of my friends pen-drive (USB).After plugged-in I scanned it with avast who showed that USB was clean. But after few minutes I've noticed that my PC became much slower. Unfortunately internet was also disconnected and surprisingly disabled. Meaning that network access was disabled. Also the PC would automatically rebooted every 15 minute and was taking 5 minute to start. I realised that it could be a infection, so I ran boot scan of avast which failed to detect any infection. One thing that I've noticed was that surprisingly when I wanted to uninstall avast this step also been disabled. Due to no internet connection i couldn't run Zemena or Hitman pro.

So a last hope I installed Qihoo 360 total security and ran quick scan. Surprisingly it detected 7 infection. After one reboot I got my pc in healthy stage with internet connectivity too. Within one single quick scan I got my pc in normal stage..

I don't know why Avast did not worked where Qihoo gave superb performance. Anybody knows? Thanks Qihoo:)
( This is not a promotion of Qihoo. This is my own experience. Sorry to Avast Fans;))

(sorry for poor english)

Last edited by a moderator:

maanastr

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 1, 2013
As soon as I installed Qihoo, the first warning message it gave me about internet connectivity. when I clicked ok then network acess was automatically enabled.
Detected threats are: Hikack.Autoconfig URL, Trojan.Generic:WIn32/Torjan, Torjan.Generic:HEUR/Malware. Trojan.Generic.adware.Multiplug.Gen7

Updates are installed and Autoplay is disabled

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing @maanastr. I am glad to hear your computer is functioning again.:) If you are certain these infections truly arrived via your friend's pen drive, I wonder whether the drive has been inoculated successfully by now and, additionally it may be helpful to visit our malware assistance forum to make certain your system is truly clean.

PS Your English is quite good.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

IMO not many security products are good at detecting USB threats, If you are very reliant on using USBs or any external storage, use MCShield no matter how good security products claim to be, they all have there downfalls and detecting USB threats are the most common problem, believe me MCShield has world-class heuristics and by far the BEST detection of USB threats. Check this out: MCShield - MCShield Anti-Malware v3.0 MalwareTips own Malware Removal Expert recommends this amazing and free program.

Elizabeth23

Level 1
Feb 10, 2016
@Huracan:
QUOTE:
Doesn't Qihoo 360 rely on the Internet?
UNQUOTE

If you download the offline installer and database,(also bitdefender and avira databases) you can run scans before ever connecting to the internet, I do this every time I reinstall my os, I believe this gives my antivirus (360) a baseline onto my fresh install system, :)

Sana

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 30, 2015
Interesting post. It's the power some Anti-virus softwares have, is unbelievable. Like, when I installed Dr Web, the thing just fixed up a lot of things and configurations etc etc without even asking me. I think it's a good thing for newbies, if I played around a little longer, maybe there'd be a way to configure it, to ask before going on a killing spree!

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
One other very good thing about Qihoo is their responsiveness to fix the product if a valid deficiency is presented to them. When earlier this year I pointed out that the product should be loaded quicker at boot the issue was resolved with a new build in about a week.

Considering that they have about 1 billion users (Desktop + Mobile) and god knows how many requests this responsiveness was breathtaking. Also it's nice to know they actually care.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Avast definitely has weaker signatures than qihoo because qihoo has very strong heuristics and might mistake a clean file as a threat. That is just one of the downside of qihoo, but yes I have to say if you want better protection in the expense of several false positives then Qihoo is the way to go.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Avast definitely has weaker signatures than qihoo because qihoo has very strong heuristics and might mistake a clean file as a threat. That is just one of the downside of qihoo, but yes I have to say if you want better protection in the expense of several false positives then Qihoo is the way to go.

Completely Agree with you.

For my case I generally do not install much software. And the other software those are on my system are actually very widely used. So I do no get even single false positive and it provides very good protection. The more I am using it, the more I am liking it.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Completely Agree with you.

For my case I generally do not install much software. And the other software those are on my system are actually very widely used. So I do no get even single false positive and it provides very good protection. The more I am using it, the more I am liking it.

Even with false positives, their support reacts very fast to submissions and takes down the false positives really quickly. Overall a very decent product!

maanastr

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 1, 2013
The more I am using it, the more I am liking it
same with me.. Before qihoo I was fan of Eset and webroot. But when I saw impressive performance continously by Qihoo in Malware Requests topic of MT compare to paid AV then I started using it. Now in Virus exchange topic almost every time Qihoo performed and performing very well with his powerful detection and protection.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Remember that no matter of the product contains numerous products but history on how response time covered on their signatures will be reflect on how threats manage to recognize and flag.

Hardened Mode, Deepguard and few others are work on the prevention status realtime protection only; scan will covered on the signatures and heuristic detection.

So which why Avira or Qihoo (multi engine) have advantage even though not implemented a lot of features.

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
One other very good thing about Qihoo is their responsiveness to fix the product if a valid deficiency is presented to them. When earlier this year I pointed out that the product should be loaded quicker at boot the issue was resolved with a new build in about a week.

Considering that they have about 1 billion users (Desktop + Mobile) and god knows how many requests this responsiveness was breathtaking. Also it's nice to know they actually care.

Did they fix the Boot-Time Protection ?

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.