Status
Not open for further replies.

Rus Anca

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Jun 18, 2014
Avast for Business FREE

-The world's most trusted security has moved to the cloud to provide your business with great protection starting at a price that’s pretty nice, too. It's free.-

7632f947927a935b9894c3d1bbeaac1e.png

1.Manage and protect all the devices that power your business, anywhere, anytime from the cloud.
2.Set it and forget it. With Avast for Business on guard, you can focus on running your business.
3.Our robust alerting and reporting engine will let you know if we need you.
4.Easy. Sign up, log in, and download. It’s that easy. Protect your first device in 5 minutes or less.

System requirements

1.PC workstation

A minimum of Windows XP (with SP2) needs to be installed. Windows Vista, 7, 8, and even 8.1 are fully supported (unless your device runs the Starter or RT edition) in both the 32- and 64-bit variant. A 10-year old Pentium 3 processor will do, with 128 MB RAM and 1 GB of hard-drive space. Now imagine the stellar performance with your new hardware!

2.Mac Workstation

If you’re on a Mac running OSX, it will work. You need 128 MB of RAM and 750MB of disk space. Beyond that, you can be running just about any stable version of OSX (even Yosemite), and we’ll keep you protected.

3.Server

It will work with any operating system listed below:
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 and 2003 R2 (any edition with the latest Service Pack, 32-bit or 64-bit, incl. Small Business Server)
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 (any edition with the latest Service Pack, 32-bit or 64-bit, incl. Small Business Server, except Server Core)
Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2011 (any edition with the latest Service Pack, x64bit)
Microsoft Windows Server 2012 and Server 2012 R2 (any edition with the latest Service Pack, x64bit, incl. Small Business Server/Essentials, except Server Core)
Microsoft SharePoint Server 2003/2007/2010/2013
Microsoft Exchange Server 2003/2007/2010/2013. Avast antispam is available for Microsoft Exchange Server 2007/2010/2013

512 MB or above if running Microsoft Windows Server 2008 or higher (depends on OS requirements and other third-party software installed)
Intel Pentium III compatible processor or above (depends on OS requirements and other third-party software installed)
1GB free hard disk space

Source:https://www.avast.com/business

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The log in delay is appalling, for a good 30 seconds on multiple reboots I experienced:
  • No desktop files
  • Blank File Explorer
  • Task Manager reports High Startup Impact
Signing up is easy:
  • No background checks
  • Use your existing avast! account
Set-up is simple:
  • Available for Windows Desktop, Windows Server and Mac OS X
  • Web installer and Full installer
  • Remember to Activate Device once installed
Web console:
  • No configuration for sending messages to desktop (Admin desktop notifications)
  • Confusing between Groups and Devices
  • Unclear (OOB) about how to send template settings to current devices, do I need to delete device first or not.
  • Browser Cleanup and Secure VPN on by default
  • Easy to navigate UI, but lacks details for new users.
  • If Devices are removed from Web Console >> Avast Pop-up to Reboot PC (possible to post-pone) >> Avast Business Security will be uninstalled and gone after reboot.
avast for Business - Web Console UI

upload_2015-2-9_18-8-27.png

Created a Custom Template

upload_2015-2-9_18-9-37.png

Exploring the Advanced for Active Protection | General Settings | Antivirus Settings

upload_2015-2-9_18-11-29.png

Upgrade to Premium Security for Business

upload_2015-2-9_18-13-22.png

This is only a quick and small review of Avast Business Security 2015 (Free).

Good News: Avast Uninstall Utility supports Avast Business Security, if required.

upload_2015-2-9_18-36-14.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2913

How is free business different from free home?
I guess protection & features would be the same minis adverts i.e guess no adverts with free business like with free home?

D

Deleted member 2913

I installed Avast free business.

Isn't it better than free home?

During install, I selected "Custom" install And File/Web/Mail Shield were pre-selected And rest feature were greyed out i.e you cannot install other features.

Home free v/s Business Free
Home free -
Adverts on main GUI
Settings - Popups - Greyed out option i.e cannot disable adverts/popups.
GUI shows not installed modules like "Components" shows not installed modules, "Tools" shows not installed features, etc...
Processes - 2

Business free -
No adverts on main GUI
Settings - Popups - No such greyed out option like in home free.
No showing of not installed features/modules.
Processes - 4 (2 extra processes compared to home free, related to console but light)

All in all Business free provides same protection as Home free with clean GUI i.e no additional stuffs, adverts, etc... in Business free. Only extra 2 processes with every other things same.

So why not use Business free instead of Home free?

What you guys say?

Reactions: Svoll
D

Deleted member 2913

There is no subscription/activation option in Business free But everything seems to be working fine.

Is activation in console required or it is only to control the product remotely/console?

If I hover the mouse on "activation" in console, it mention "when you activate a device you will finalize its link to your company account & enable your view of the device security status", does this means activation in console is not required for functioning of Business free locally only?

Reactions: Venustus and Svoll

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
Server version is not free anymore, not for me anyway.
I have seen features come out to the Free Home version a bit in time before they release the same feature on the Business version.
Probably the use home users as guinea pigs first ;)
I think the only other difference is that the admin handles the settings and you can send messages, uninstall etc from the console.
Running this on 20 pc:s now without any hiccups.
Recommend!

/W

D

Deleted member 2913

Can any one please tell me if activation in console required or console is just to control the product?

I installed Avast Business Free...its clean GUI (no bloats & no not installed modules) & has all the required settings.

2 things -
1. I didn't activated in console & product seems to work fine. But I wonder if its some type of trial for couple days And activation in console is required (2 running console processes are there)?
2. I activated in console & console is a mess i.e console & product settings dont match & so confusing for some options.
Like Deepscreen is there in Console But not in product.
Like in GUI product upgrade has the option to notify on upgrade available But console has only auto & manual upgrade, no notify option.

Reactions: Venustus and Svoll

military

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 13, 2012
Avast Business Cloud Management Console 5.10 has just been released today (4th July). This release delivers multiple bug fixes.
Bug Fixes

• Fixed: Refresh button will no longer be greyed out when your session has expired. (This was an intermittent issue)
  • Fixed: Filter on the dashboard. Filtering items like "device in danger " will now show list of devices that are in selected filter status.
  • Fixed: Updated context tool menu on a device that is selected as the local update server to 'Change Local Update Server for devices with Program version 18.4 and older'.
  • Fixed: Text typo in Transfer from other Console tab.
  • Fixed: “All Statuses” filter option in Devices section will show devices with other filters selected like “Operating System” and “All Licenses”. (also applied to 5.9 release)

Bugs and more information can be found in our release notes below:

Avast Business Cloud Management Console Version 5.10 Release Notes

lgwhitlock

Aug 17, 2018
Avast for Business will be completely discontinued even for existing users come October 15th, 2018. They sent me a very unprofessional looking email to announce it. Currently looking for a replacement for my family. Have been mostly happy with it since the beginning. Anyone have thoughts on what could replace it? I liked the fact I could see what malware was hitting my families computers to better tailor their security over time. Thanks.

Reactions: military
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.