Battle Avast Free Antivirus 2014 vs Avira Free 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

GabiCRX

Level 8
Verified
Jun 24, 2011
Avast has more features, has a better UI, it's more user friendly, i don't know about resource usage, real world system impact it's kind of the same, but i'm an Avira fan, so i choose Avira.

VladDracul

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Sep 28, 2011
Avast has more features, has a better UI, it's more user friendly.......
....its Hardened Mode it's awesome and it is light as a feather,don't know its even on my laptop,browsing's speed is super fast.Last time when i tried Avira free (one month ago) it was quite the opposite for me.Voted Avast and if i could i would vote it again and again!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Avast for me
Could you explain why? Especially since you have tested many products, it should help the OP to understand your choice. :D Make a comparison between Avira and Avast, highlight the products strengths and weaknesses etc.

M

Manzai

Could you explain why? Especially since you have tested many products, it should help the OP to understand your choice. :D Make a comparison between Avira and Avast, highlight the products strengths and weaknesses etc.

Mmmh.. Okay

UI : Avast and Avira but I prefer Avast because I like user-friendly
Detection file : Avira of course (Database)
Behavior Shield : Avast of course (Evo-gen, Sandbox, Hardened Mode...) . Avira contains no behavioral protection.
System Impact : Avast of course (Very light) . Avira is average.

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
I would choose Avast.

1. It may be bloated in a default installation, but with a custom installation you can trim it down to be one the leanest AVs of all. Avira on the other hand will force this new launcher crap on you and there will be no option to not install it or to remove it without removing the AV as well.
  2. Avast has Hardened Mode, though it may not be perfect, Avira has nothing like it. File reputation is better at prevention than a 1% difference at AV-Comparatives and the likes.
  3. Avast has a bug bounty, Avira on the other hand was trying to discredit Joxean Koret's research about AV vulnerabilities (at least one of their employees made it look like that over at the Wilders discussion).
  4. Last time I checked Avast had more options to configure the behavior of the AV-engine to reduce unnecessary scanning.
  5. A custom installed Avast is probably lighter than Avira.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Avira slows down the PC a lot while doing any scan. Specifically, I was very annoyed when Avira did autoscan after boot, at that time the system was almost hang.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Avast .. bcoz

1. Detection -- Avira winned
2. UI -- Avast winner
2. BB -- Avast winner
3. Feature -- Avast winner
4. System Impact -- Avast winner

Reactions: Xtwillight
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.