Battle AVAST Free Antivirus 2015‎ vs Norton Security Suite

Status
Not open for further replies.

madscientist24

Thread author
Aug 27, 2015
Hello, I'm new here. I just clean installed Windows 10 and am wondering what AV to use. I've used avast! free for the last 3 years (windows 7 and 8), but now that I'm on a new sparkly clean OS, I've decided to reevaluate and survey the field for cheap or preferably free options. Panda , Avast, Avira, BitDefender, etc.

It seems to me, from what I've read, the most balanced in terms of zero day and general protection (online or off) is Avast (talking about across the board protection, heuristics/behavior/signtatures/yada yada, avast just got HIPS too). Comcast offers Norton for free though, a full security suite. Norton is never mentioned as a top contender nowadays. However, how does it compare to avast free? Thanks folks!

Reactions: done and JakeXPMan

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Hello welcome to MT :)

I 'd pick Avast free, I'm used to its settings... and with hardened mode can protect more effective. Its been a while since I used Norton. It was pretty good when I used it.

It depends on if you want a change or go with what you know... but both are light and decent choices.

Reactions: Kuttz

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In terms of features which you may tweak and offers optimum protection then go for Avast Free.

Since Comcast offers Norton for Free in that case then you may consider to have that as you don't need to sacrifice more time in tweaks. Let it keep your internet connectivity active.

Reactions: Kuttz

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Avast! Free is a very good online, offline antivirus you can depend on. The only draw back of Avast Free is its Promotional ads even though you can disable them.

madscientist24

Thread author
Aug 27, 2015
But Comcast Norton is a full security suite. It seems to be that despite that, you guys are suggesting avast free is better because it has better protection?

I looked at AV comparatives labs and AV test, one doesn't even bother to test Norton, the other rates Norton better in protection and performance (that was in May/June though), respectively.

Other than the AV test result, I don't know enough about Norton to assert that it is in fact better than avast free or not.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@madscientist24 : Symantec decided itself not to participate on testing organizations like AV-Comparatives due to many issues.

The reason that some users recommended Avast Free is due to well balance components which not totally relying on traditional signatures.

But Norton's Sonar is totally acceptable to balance their cloud (Download Insight) and File Protect but still detection rates are vary based on user input reviews but can be recommend as it promotes to be comfortable to use from novice users besides on higher levels.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I like Norton, but most here speak up for Avast, but poll voting is 8 to nothing for Norton lol.
I am confused :)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
It is kind of difficult to pick Avast when Norton is a security suite and Avast an AV.Norton is normally paid security suite but is free for Comcast users.I would lean towards NIS even though my experience years ago with Norton was not good especially trying to get rid of it from a computer.It is much better now and offers very good protection also just as Avast does.
You already know what Avast does so you could give NIS a try and see how you like it.Although it might be less of a headache to just stick with AVAST.
Make sure your using the compatible Windows 10 version if you do decide to go with Norton because,and I may be wrong,Norton did not have a Windows 10 compatible version prior to Windows 10 release.
Please see this link for specific installation instructions for Comcast ISP Norton users Installing Norton Security Suite

Last edited:
Reactions: tonibalas

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
I remember when we got our very first desktop and it came with Norton Antivirus 2005 with Windows XP and then we were wondering why the darn thing was running SO slow (I wonder why? :D)

Granted, now a days Norton is light as a feather and offers amazing detection with it's SONAR, file rep, and the cloud.

I have not used Norton since the 2005 days, so I am not really familiar with it. My very first laptop which had Vista back in 2008 and I decided to use Avast 4.8 and ever since then I have stuck with it. It has saved me quite a few times back then when I was just learning about viruses. I still continue to use Avast to this day, however the ads are getting out of hand.

You really should be comparing AIS with NIS. But I can both are technically free to you.

Here in Canada, Rogers offers Norton for free. I am with Bell and I am stuck with them offering me McAfee for free every month, which I refuse to use.

Norton seems to rely on the cloud a lot now and it's signatures are so so.

Avast has the cloud, deepscreen, evogen, file rep and other features. I believe it will serve you better for offline protection.

I would go with Avast but that's just me. I just can't justify paying for a AV these days. Norton seems to be on the expensive side. But I know for you it's free so it's a tough choice here.

I would test both out and see which you like better.

My school uses Symantec Endpoint Protection though :)

Reactions: Overkill
D

Deleted member 178

NIS doesn't rely much on signature much now, it is why the Smart signature are implemented focusing on real living prevalent malwares; as SEP , NIS rely mostly on its prevention features (SONAR, etc...).

i dont like Avast because most of its components are interdependent , you disable one , others will works less effectively. not saying those ads.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
It is kind of difficult to pick Avast when Norton is a security suite
Totaly agree;)
@madscientist24 you can have NIS for free and you are thinking Avast free:eek:? Oh come on.
I used NIS version 21 last year and it used about 20 MB of RAM with 4 processes, it was very light on system
and SONAR worked very good.
For me NIS is a very good choice.
I hope i have helped:)

Reactions: XhenEd and frogboy

madscientist24

Thread author
Aug 27, 2015
This review makes me think twice about going with Norton :eek: (though it is dated almost a year ago; but its the same product, Norton Security v22).

Pretty damning it seems, of SONAR and all :(.

In contrast, avast free with HIPS (reviewed by the same channel, and recently) performed quite well.

Reactions: XhenEd
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.