Battle Avast Free AntiVirus 2016 vs Baidu AntiVirus Latest (2015)

DJ Panda

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Hey so what do you guys think of Baidu? My friend and I hadn't really heard of Baidu and both being Avast users were unsure about how it would be against it. An explanation of why one is better than the other is welcome. :)

O

Omnipotent

If you think about it using an antivirus that isn't that popular could actually help you since malware creators usually focus on the more popular solutions since everybody always wants to use the BEST security. I would still stick with Avast regardless. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LabZero

Well, Avast does not need much explanation, currently I use it in HM on aggressive with a complete protection.

About Baidu, I believe that China has the world record of infected PCs and Baidu, as the other major chinese vendors, with their security products, are mainly focused on chinese malware.
I don't want to say that Baidu is not also valid for the western market and it uses Baidu Antivirus Engine and Baidu Cloud Engine integrated with Avira but it, like others chinese vendors, is primarily born for the chinese market, which is notoriously closed to the western world.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
My advise : why fix something that is not broken? avast is top notch and does not impact your system! baidu is also very light on resources but it is not develloped anymore , furthermore I do firmly believe that just with every other chinese pc products ( maintainance and security ) a hefty amount of tracking / spying software is installed along with it , not vissable for the naked eye.

Last edited:

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I would agree with all the users here, Avast has served me well for a very long time and I think that changing to Baidu is actually a set downwards seeing that they haven't updated their program in such a long time, their latest version is still 2015 and if you take a look at their awards tab, you'll notice that the awards stated are mostly from 2014 and early 2015. They have not been in a independent test in a long time.

Personally I feel that most of their detections are also based off Avira signatures, so why go to Baidu for their signatures when you can just use Avira itself.

Also Baidu is a lot less robust in terms of features compared to Avast, with Avast's new CyberCapture and their hardened mode.

sunrise

Level 2
Verified
Aug 2, 2014
Hey so what do you guys think of Baidu? My friend and I hadn't really heard of Baidu and both being Avast users were unsure about how it would be against it. An explanation of why one is better than the other is welcome. :)
Neither. Why choose Baidu over the superior Qihoo 360 Total Secrurity Essentials?
Well, Avast does not need much explanation, currently I use it in HM on aggressive with a complete protection.

About Baidu, I believe that China has the world record of infected PCs and Baidu, as the other major chinese vendors, with their security products, are mainly focused on chinese malware.
I don't want to say that Baidu is not also valid for the western market and it uses Baidu Antivirus Engine and Baidu Cloud Engine integrated with Avira but it, like others chinese vendors, is primarily born for the chinese market, which is notoriously closed to the western world.
Not true. QIhoo/Baidu does detects international malware. We can say the same that Kaspersky is focused on Russian malware. I am speaking about QIhoo here. Qihoo have been shown to excel in zero day test by cruelsister when free and paid western antivirus fails (avast, kaspersky, mcafee)

My advise : why fix something that is not broken? avast is top notch and does not impact your system! baidu is also very light on resources but it is not develloped anymore , furthermore I do firmly believe that just with every other chinese pc products ( maintainance and security ) a hefty amount of tracking / spying software is installed along with it , not vissable for the naked eye.
Have been using a chinese antivirus for close to 2 years and have not experience any such stuff. No increase in spam or unwanted transaction.

I would agree with all the users here, Avast has served me well for a very long time and I think that changing to Baidu is actually a set downwards seeing that they haven't updated their program in such a long time, their latest version is still 2015 and if you take a look at their awards tab, you'll notice that the awards stated are mostly from 2014 and early 2015. They have not been in a independent test in a long time.

Personally I feel that most of their detections are also based off Avira signatures, so why go to Baidu for their signatures when you can just use Avira itself.

Also Baidu is a lot less robust in terms of features compared to Avast, with Avast's new CyberCapture and their hardened mode.
Fancy marketing terms. Period. Avast always comes up with fancy marketing terms that are half-baked for like what 2-3 years?

securitydolphin

Level 1
Verified
Jul 22, 2016
Baidu should not be used. AT ALL. They are an atrocious company with a spyware-like privacy policy, and their protection is one of the worst in the industry. They have an amazing UI, but that's literally it.

Avast has it's own share of privacy problems, but they are much more reputable as they have been around for quite a while. Their protection is one of the best in the industry with Hardened Mode on, and you can cut down on bloat by disabling modules contrary to other suites.

360 Total Security is not needed; they piggyback off other engines, but they most likely only license the antivirus signatures, meaning they have minimal 0-day defenses in place. Using multiple, almost identical engines also means that they are extremely resource-intensive while giving little to no additional security benefit in the name of "buzzwords" and "marketing". Their in-house engines suck anywhere outside of china, and they too have a heinous privacy policy and an awful track record.

Reactions: Logethica
L

LabZero

Not true. QIhoo/Baidu does detects international malware. We can say the same that Kaspersky is focused on Russian malware. I am speaking about QIhoo here. Qihoo have been shown to excel in zero day test by cruelsister when free and paid western antivirus fails (avast, kaspersky, mcafee)
1) Kaspersky is not a chinese anti-virus and we can not make comparisons, if you read well what I wrote, I am not saying that Baidu is not suitable for the western market, but originally it is designed for the chinese market, and this is a fact, whether you agree or not.
2) Here are we talking about Qihoo, or Baidu? Are you serious??
3) I Just said my opinion but if you like Baidu or Qihoo use it, what is the problem for me??

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

I wouldn't think twice, Avast Free, i don't know what to say about Baidu.. is this even a fair comparison? :D Baidu AntiVirus to my eyes is like, it's there, or it's not, i wouldn't even notice if one day they stop producing their products for PC, i think they are more targeting Android Market users.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Baidu should not be used. AT ALL. They are an atrocious company with a spyware-like privacy policy, and their protection is one of the worst in the industry. They have an amazing UI, but that's literally it.

Avast has it's own share of privacy problems, but they are much more reputable as they have been around for quite a while. Their protection is one of the best in the industry with Hardened Mode on, and you can cut down on bloat by disabling modules contrary to other suites.

360 Total Security is not needed; they piggyback off other engines, but they most likely only license the antivirus signatures, meaning they have minimal 0-day defenses in place. Using multiple, almost identical engines also means that they are extremely resource-intensive while giving little to no additional security benefit in the name of "buzzwords" and "marketing". Their in-house engines suck anywhere outside of china, and they too have a heinous privacy policy and an awful track record.
Are you serious? 360 has great zero day protection, didn't Cruelsister show this. Plus it's seen on many other reviews.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
You right ZeroDay, but why I would not go near Qihoo has nothing to do with that.
Them and Baidu are fodder for the fish in my honest opinion.
Gamez, you and your friend should stick with Avast, it's so configurable that
you can tweak it to work well with gaming environments and you know it's solid brother.
My advise would be "If it aint broke, Don't fix it"

Last edited:

pipecleaner

Sep 10, 2016
My online bank service offer one of the pro AV solutions (McAfee) for free. McAfee is a heavy load for my old computers and major updates coming every second week make McAfee freeze. A reinstall then works fine until the next major update arrive.
Baidu is an easy install with a beautyful interface. Avira definitions can easily be downloaded for offline scanning or Baidus cloud based antivirus engine used for best performance.
The cloud based AV definitions appear to be updated very frequent, and by a click Baidu will refresh the Avira definitions.
The approach is a trouble free lightweight “install and forget” antivirus program working in a similar way as the MS free Security Essentials.
The Baidu company is a Beijing eqvivalent to Google where Baidus search engine comprise 56.6% of Chinas 4.02 billion annual search queries.

Baidu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.