• Windows Defender

Votes: 27 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

viel

Thread author
i aint no fan of google & when i see avast shamelessly promoting / recommending google chrome, there it ends for me.

who cares if they are good or not, i flushed avast. an AV vendor has no business telling me which browser to use.
Well, that escalated quickly.
They're pretty good though, don't get triggered.

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
Well, that escalated quickly.
They're pretty good though, don't get triggered.

naaah, not triggered at all :p nothing personal :) there are other pretty good AV vendors too who do not insist on chrome.

avast was my 1st free antivirus on my xp computer. i simply loved the avast lady saying "database has been updated" ;)

Reactions: frogboy

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
an AV vendor has no business telling me which browser to use.
U get one of the best avs on the markt for free for some offering. No big deal at all and they dont promote crap/spyware or adware. They need to make money somehow when almost all use there free version. The big point here is costum install. :) U dont need to install it and avast dont say u need it. simply 1 click to not install it. Isnt that hard.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I love using Avast. Both products are really good but I feel like Avast seems a bit lighter and tends to offer better protection as well. I already have Google Chrome as a secondary browser so not really annoyed by any promotional stuff. As you, the user can test both products and see which one works best for you and the computer you use. Also even though I am an Avast user for quite a long time I haven't really bought a single thing from them. Other than the Ransomeware shield in AIS, paying isn't really needed. Well enjoy your time here! :)

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
U get one of the best avs on the markt for free for some offering.

nothing is for free.

they dont promote crap/spyware or adware.

that is how you look at chrome. i don't. i respect your opinion but i do not have such high an opinion about anything google.

The big point here is costum install.

i was not referring to the avast installer or the installation process.

avast dont say u need it.

yes they do :

image.jpg

source : Avast | Download Free Antivirus for PC, Mac & Android

Reactions: frogboy

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I will admit that Avast protection is a little better, but you can't beat Windows Defender's smooth compatibility with apps and Windows updates.
Any 3rd party AV that you install carries with it a calculated risk of issues, and if not now, then later on.
WD+NVT ERP = great protection and zero issues.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Avast:
Behaviour Shield
Web Shield
customizable
good signature
Windows Defender:
Behaviour Shield✘
Web Shield✘
customizable✘
bad signature

That Windows Defender does not include a full GUI to customize it does not necessarily mean it won't let you do so. They just offer you a clean GUI with no crap on it.

Once said that:

------------------------

Behaviour Shield: can be activated and customized through gpedit under:

Real Time protection:
  • Behavior monitoring: enable
------------------------

Web Shield: Introducion Windows Defender Application Guard:

Windows Defender Application Guard (gpedit.msc - Computer configuration - Administrative templates - Windows components - Windows Defender Application Guard):

------------------------

Customizable:

MpEngine:
  • Enable all settings
Windows Defender SmartScreen:
  • Enable for both - Edge and Explorer
Set-MpPreference -PUAProtection 1 for PUP protection

------------------------

Bad Signature: Say hello to Windows Defender MAPS, on the cloud protection

MAPS:
  • Block at first sight - enable
  • MAPS - enable (advanced MAPS)
  • Send file samples - enable (all samples)
------------------------

It's not Windows Defender sucks. It's users expect the perfect software to help them happy click the world.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
but where is that behavior shield? I can't see any good result for WD( MH tests) it's weak...the fact is that behavior blocker can't do anything like you don't have it..lol
Maybe if you use SRP, WIN DEF can do the job but I'm A noob user can't use it
so win def is not a good choice for guys like me!

Last edited:
Reactions: RoboMan

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
but where is that behavior shield? I can't see any good result for WD( MH tests) it's weak...the fact is that behavior blocker can't do anything like you don't have it..lol
Maybe if you use SRP WIN DEF can do the job but I'm A noob user can't use it
so win def is not a good choice for guys like me!
Well Windows Defender is significantly improving. Went from useless to useful for people who do not need NSA protection. Still, not recommended for corporate or home users that download plenty of stuff from the web. Signatures are maked as bad by online AV testers because Microsoft just grabs the recent malware attacks to include them to the database. That's why it offers a really formidable zero/one day protection but it fails with older samples. You'll probably see that new ransomware attacking people on these days are surely blocked by it. But 2014 trojans are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.