App Review Avast Free Antivirus Hardened Mode Prevention and Detection Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lucent Warrior

Im sorry folks, this may sound like a broken record, but you can not watch this and say Avast did a great job, as those samples are not fresh. I watched it thoroughly, those are again from Virussign. You can not do a accurate detection test of Signatures with older samples. This does a great disservice to the product and users that will be mislead by watching.

OP you do not need to test 100 samples doing a static test. Only using 10 samples would be enough with ultra fresh samples.

Im sorry to have to be the one to keep pushing this, as i do like you, but these tests are not accurate.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Im sorry folks, this may sound like a broken record, but you can not watch this and say Avast did a great job, as those samples are not fresh. I watched it thoroughly, those are again from Virussign. You can not do a accurate detection test of Signatures with older samples. This does a great disservice to the product and users that will be mislead by watching.

OP you do not need to test 100 samples doing a static test. Only using 10 samples would be enough with ultra fresh samples.

Im sorry to have to be the one to keep pushing this, as i do like you, but these tests are not accurate.
I think there is always a point to test old samples. Tested AVs should have high detection rate or better to block almost all of the samples
If AVs have low detection rate against old samples, and the system is infected, we should verify the effectiveness of those AVs

many many users are also dealing with old malwares, not only fresh ones. In my country, when I went to an internet cafe, my USB was injected by a 5-year old virus and it was detected by my AV
Testing old samples: general performance of the AVs, how quick the response of the vendors against submitted
Testing fresh samples: effectiveness of implemented components

It's better if malware testers give a description about the age of their testing samples. Old or new

L

Lucent Warrior

I think there is always a point to test old samples. Tested AVs should have high detection rate or better to block almost all of the samples
If AVs have low detection rate against old samples, and the system is infected, we should verify the effectiveness of those AVs

many many users are also dealing with old malwares, not only fresh ones. In my country, when I went to an internet cafe, my USB was injected by a 5-year old virus and it was detected by my AV
Testing old samples: general performance of the AVs, how quick the response of the vendors against submitted
Testing fresh samples: effectiveness of implemented components

It's better if malware testers give a description about the age of their testing samples. Old or new

To quote a very classy, intelligent Lady that i have much respect for

What does it matter if a product detects 1000 samples that constitute about 2% of existing threats when it will be defeated by a single sample that is the most prevalent?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
To quote a very classy, intelligent Lady that i have much respect for
I understand what you wanna say. I forgot to say, we should test both, not only old or only new samples because those are real life situations

I respect and appreciate all malware testers as they put their effort to make reviews and videos which most users are lazy and don't dare to do so. We should watch multiple reviews, both from regular (most testers) and more professional styles (cruelsister's, your videos and MT malware hub)

Last edited:
L

Lucent Warrior

I understand what you wanna say. I forgot to say, we should test both, not only old or only new samples because those are real life situations

I respect and appreciate all malware testers as they put their effort to make reviews and videos which most users are lazy and don't dare to do so. We should watch multiple reviews, both from regular (most testers) and more professional styles (cruelsister's, your videos and MT malware hub)
Older samples constitute a small number of threats in the wild, and because of, this paints an untrue reality of the products signatures and abilities in testing like this. It also confuses many people that see vids done this way and then come across one done correctly, leaving them wondering why the product did so poorly in one test but did outstanding in a few others. I can not stress enough the importance of testing fresher samples with products, samples currently dominating the wild with low detection rates.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I'm Avast user, but I've seen a few people now saying that Avast matches Kaspersky on AV-Compartives, but it doesm't. I think it matched it last month and that's about it, if you go through the months it's not matching Kaspersky. Sorry to have gone off-topic, but I think Avast should have done much better in this test and in CruelSisters tests too.

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
I still do not feel safe with avast. New modules (hardened and Cybercapture - are just beautiful names), the moment of truth avast catches a cold and leaves the system unarmed .
Bet in vibrant colors, like orange, is not enough when it comes to computer security.
I would like to see a real behavior blocker - one of the good ones.
Everything else seems more of the same, having only been improved.
I do not know if it's because of the color or the simple fact of not having a good technology detection behind, but when I see Kaspersky and bitdefender, know I can count on them, to clean up the mess caused by malware.

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016

Wow, whats wrong with you? :)

You message me to make sure its from Virussign or not and I said to you that got them from somewhere else. You read that message too
Now you said here like that...

To everyone who read this post..
@Lucent Warrior told me
"You rename the samples to Malware then? As the only users i know that do that use Virussign."
Thats funny isnt it... he only thinking I got from virussign because I renamed the files to 'Malware'. Well you're the detective now.
Sorry to ask, how old are you?

I realized so many salty people lately :D
Well, AT LEAST I dont use from virussign... maybe 'sometimes' very little amount of samples, but last 2 videos isnt.

DID you Understand Mr. Lucent Warrior? I know its nickname ;)

@Evjl's Rain
Its up to 5 days and a lot from few hours before I start the test..

Last edited:
Reactions: Evjl's Rain
L

Lucent Warrior

Wow, whats wrong with you? :)

You message me to make sure its from Virussign or not and I said to you that got them from somewhere else. You read that message too
Now you said here like that...
Whats wrong with me, is im tired of user's not doing these test correctly, and yes, you told me that and i asked you if you renamed them then to Malware, as i knew you were full of it. Any idea how long it would take to find and vet that many samples? Just watching the test, you can clearly see they are from Virussign.

Quit taking the easy road and do this right. The friendly act is not fooling me or cutting it now.

What is worse, is @LabZero explained to you where to find fresh samples, and i was willing to help you as well until you just shrugged me off as clearly you do not care to do this right.

DID you Understand Mr. Lucent Warrior? I know its nickname
Everyone should know by now, if not, i used to be known as illumination, and im not really new to this forum, and or testing, it is why im calling you out on your BS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LabZero
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.