App Review Avast Free Antivirus Tested 5.26.19

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Most of the computers that I have repaired have Avast installed in the system. The system is totally unaffordable and only remains to format, that shows how bad this antivirus is.
I install avast on most of my friends and family computers with maximum performance, telemetry and security tweaks + a few extra tools to complement avast's weaknesses
zero computer has had any infection for many years and I never have to teach them how they should use their PCs. I let them use their PCs recklessly

It's about how you can maximize its potentials
it's even better than kaspersky free in some areas including performance

the point is we should know how the softwares work, what are their strengths, weaknesses, problems and how to fix it or cover possible weaknesses if possible
same for other AVs

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
In my opinion, the most important component and indicator is web protection. Most of the risks of infecting the system, falling into the tricks of fraudsters, losing personal data and money - all this through a browser and through vulnerabilities in it and in plugins. Therefore, 100% web protection for antivirus is a good sign. Not many antiviruses, in particular free ones, can boast excellent web protection. It is not clear why in the cons is the point "nagware"? Maybe, this is about the marketing model of distribution of the program, when it goes "in addition" in the installers of other free programs?

beavisviruses

Level 3
Verified
Oct 8, 2018
Maybe your clients is from Mars :giggle:
no, is reallity

In my opinion, the most important component and indicator is web protection. Most of the risks of infecting the system, falling into the tricks of fraudsters, losing personal data and money - all this through a browser and through vulnerabilities in it and in plugins. Therefore, 100% web protection for antivirus is a good sign. Not many antiviruses, in particular free ones, can boast excellent web protection. It is not clear why in the cons is the point "nagware"? Maybe, this is about the marketing model of distribution of the program, when it goes "in addition" in the installers of other free programs?
the antivirus is bad and there are much better solutions

I install avast on most of my friends and family computers with maximum performance, telemetry and security tweaks + a few extra tools to complement avast's weaknesses
zero computer has had any infection for many years and I never have to teach them how they should use their PCs. I let them use their PCs recklessly

It's about how you can maximize its potentials
it's even better than kaspersky free in some areas including performance

the point is we should know how the softwares work, what are their strengths, weaknesses, problems and how to fix it or cover possible weaknesses if possible
same for other AVs

everyone knows that there are better solutions than Avast

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
No, but the strange thing is that every time I have to repair an infected computer, it has Avast installed on the system.
It is not surprising, because Avast is one of the most popular antiviruses in the world, which is why it is installed on most PCs. In addition, it is not known under what circumstances the infection of the systems that you have to restore has occurred. Is the antivirus that could not protect in real time guilty, or did the user intentionally disable it in order to launch a file (for example, the instructions to the file, allegedly, the game was written to disable the antivirus), which later turned out to be malicious .

beavisviruses

Level 3
Verified
Oct 8, 2018
It is not surprising, because Avast is one of the most popular antiviruses in the world, which is why it is installed on most PCs. In addition, it is not known under what circumstances the infection of the systems that you have to restore has occurred. Is the antivirus that could not protect in real time guilty, or did the user intentionally disable it in order to launch a file (for example, the instructions to the file, allegedly, the game was written to disable the antivirus), which later turned out to be malicious .
The antivirus must have the ability to remove malware even if the system is infected, it is Avast's fault, whatever the circumstance may be. That is the most used, is because most people do not know about malware, and install the first antivirus they find and as many programs come with the option to install AVAST, they do. As I said before, each computer that I repair has that antivirus installed as resistant.

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
It's not good, it's one of the worst in the market.
It's not the best... it's not the worst. As a free antivirus it gets the job done but at the cost of your data. In fact the only 2 free AV's I recommended till date were Kaspersky Free and Avast Free. But since the inclusion of hardened mode in AVG I would recommend Kaspersky free and AVG Free instead of Avast free. At least in AVG the ads are not as intrusive as Avast. As for getting infected I can show you pictures of PC's infected that have Norton or Bitdefender or Kaspersky. Time and again it has been said that if a user does not practice safe habits, no antivirus will be able to protect the user. The only factor is the time. Sooner or later they'll get infected.

stefanos

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
It's not the best... it's not the worst. As a free antivirus it gets the job done but at the cost of your data. In fact the only 2 free AV's I recommended till date were Kaspersky Free and Avast Free. But since the inclusion of hardened mode in AVG I would recommend Kaspersky free and AVG Free instead of Avast free. At least in AVG the ads are not as intrusive as Avast. As for getting infected I can show you pictures of PC's infected that have Norton or Bitdefender or Kaspersky. Time and again it has been said that if a user does not practice safe habits, no antivirus will be able to protect the user. The only factor is the time. Sooner or later they'll get infected.
Avast is more secure of AVG. The avg hardener mode have not option. Normaly is medium mode. Avast you can set aggressive. And Avast have better web filter because of the extension . AVG have not. And the results of the tests AVG after tweaks is perfect. Only Kaspersky free can compared with Avast AVG free

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

In addition, it is not known under what circumstances the infection of the systems that you have to restore has occurred. Is the antivirus that could not protect in real time guilty, or did the user intentionally disable it in order to launch a file (for example, the instructions to the file, allegedly, the game was written to disable the antivirus), which later turned out to be malicious .

This often forgotten when it comes to infections. People always blame the software, which may not be the case. Like you said, if they disabled it to install something, well how can the program stop it? Habits are everything, if people choose to ignore the prompts, disable the AV, constantly visit sketchy sites, etc... a security program can only do so much. No program can protect users 100% of the time. People need to start looking at how they got infected and learn from it, rather than blaming the program and constantly switching programs thinking it's going to be different the next time around IMHO.(y)

The antivirus must have the ability to remove malware even if the system is infected, it is Avast's fault, whatever the circumstance may be.

Well to be honest, malware removal isn't always easy. A lot of malware like to hook themselves into system processes and files, which may potentiality break things and or render the system completely unusable. It's very much a "well if I'm going down, I'm taking you with me" approach. The only true way to ensure you are infection free is to restore from a clean image, or do a complete clean install of Windows. They vast majority of programs focus more on prevention than removal anyways, there isn't a ton of programs that can say they are excellent at cleaning a system after an infection. Personally I would rather have a program that has better prevention, as prevention if far better than trying to mess around cleaning a system and wasting time trying to fix things that are broken.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.