Not open for further replies.

Mateotis

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
Hello everyone,

I've got a friend who currently uses avast!, but one of her friends recommended AVG to her. She asked me to decide which is better. I've decided to open up the discussion to the community.

She usually doesn't surf at dangerous webpages (although she sometimes has to visit questionable pages as part of her work) nor downloads unknown stuff, but subtler threats like adware may slip past her, so throughout PUP detection would be nice. She's not too techy, user friendliness and ease of use are top priorities here. Ideally, it should provide a good enough level of detection as well.

Which AV of the two accomplishes this the best? Opinions are welcome!

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
My Vote is for Avast. ( With PUP detection Enabled)

Equal
1. Avast is very light ( so do AVG).
2. UI wise both are great. Simple yet sweet
3. None of them have firewall.
4. Behavioral blocker is good in avast but when you set AVG's identity protection to highest AVG's behaviroal blocker also improves

Avast's advantage over AVG
1. Detection is very fast in Avast.
2. AVG many times fails to remove the virus in spite of detecting it.
3. AVG's behavioral blocker is very very slow.
4. I find avast's WebBlocker better than AVG's link scanner.

Last edited:

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
Personally I would prefer Avast Free is lightweight and has a good detectability.
AVG is also a good program but sometimes suspend the pages browser and slightly slows down the system.

Reactions: Mateotis
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.