DJ Panda

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Battle:

Avast Free Antivirus vs Windows Defender and Windows Firewall.
I almost never use Avast as an On Demand Scanner anyway just protection. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:

DJ Panda

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
If we're talking about Windows "10" Firewall/Defender, I might be inclined to go with Windows Defender/Firewall + some other realtime prot like Zemana over Avast AV. However, if we're talking about Windows 7, I'd go with AVAST. In my circumstances as a W7 user, I'd go with AVAST.

The computer I am talking about is Windows 10

Other computers I have 7 or below OS I use Avast.

Reactions: CySecy825 and Noxx

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
This should be moved to war room. I recommend Windows defender and enabling PUA. Because you doesn't have boot-time slow down and it has a really Good protection on Windows 10. I don't like avast because it's weak at detecting PUPs (found many infected PC running avast with PUPs)

davetenay

Level 2
Verified
Jul 31, 2015
This should be moved to war room. I recommend Windows defender and enabling PUA. Because you doesn't have boot-time slow down and it has a really Good protection on Windows 10. I don't like avast because it's weak at detecting PUPs (found many infected PC running avast with PUPs)

Agree. Avast performs not good at all against pups even if you activate the option.

Reactions: CySecy825

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
One thing to note: if you enable Windows Firewall when running Windows Defender, then you should do the same if you run avast! free antivirus.

The two solutions cannot be compared aside from removal, detection and prevention (up to a certain extend). avast! sports more features which some consider bloatware, as well as has HTTPS scan and so fort.

Detection and removal capabilities, they are equally good.

Scan time however avast! is way faster. resources usage, avast! has less cpu spikes than WD
WD does not, however it does not mean it is inferior to avast!

milas

Level 2
Verified
Mar 1, 2016
Ok if you want a user friendly interface with limited settings and easy to navigate then one would pick Windows Defender. If you want more control of your settings then you would pick Avast. I think Avast has more settings to choose from.. for example you can't set up a schedule to scan unless you do so by Windows task Scheduler if using WD... or whether you want to scan a removable drive.
So I pick Avast.;)

DJ Panda

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
@yesnoo Because most other AVs I have used have made me happy. Not free, too much resources, etc. Avast I have used a long time. (7+ years on all computers I have owned.) But as Windows Defender is getting better I may just use it instead of Avast.

Reactions: milas and CySecy825
D

Deleted member 2913

You are Avast user for 7+ years, what happened now?

WD is getting better but remember for PUP detection you have to edit registry & still IMO PUP detection would not be that good, file copying, extracting, etc... seems slow with WD, no proactive protection, etc...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.