Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
Hi all,

I'm totally rusted as I was out of the windows arena for the past 6.5 years.

I would like to use free security products at the moment. So as the title says, I would like to know if its better to go with
  • Avast Free + Comodo Firewall
  • Avira Free + Comodo Firewall
Please help me. Thanks.

PS: Here is my introduction thread if you are interested to read it. :)

Sloth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
@King Mellow @OpenSecLabs Great, thanks. :)

My vote is for ... Panda + Comodo Firewall. My second option is Avira free + Comodo Firewall :)

So why you don't recommend Avast? Any specific reasons or just a personal preference?

I have used Avast before but not Avira or Panda. From what I've read, it seems that Avira does not provide 0-day protection.

I can't just mess with the installation testing different AV as it will be used for some serious work.

S

Sr. Normal

@King Mellow @OpenSecLabs Great, thanks. :)

So why you don't recommend Avast? Any specific reasons or just a personal preference?
I have used Avast before but not Avira or Panda. From what I've read, it seems that Avira does not provide 0-day protection..

The truth is that Avast antivirus does not seem bad, but I think is not as good as it was.
3-4 years ago we would recommend in first or second place. Now I think there are better free alternatives, to me, like: Avira, BitDefender, Panda, Qihoo and Tencent (I've put them in alphabetical order, not by priority), here are some links so you can verify, from these testers, the place of each.

http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php

http://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

https://threatcenter.crdf.fr/?Stats

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Honestly avoid Avira Free. Avira Free is a weak single layer protection antivirus with just a file system realtime shield. Avast Free 2015 is currently the most feature packed antivirus you can use for free. I also recommends Panda Free 2015 which is also a top notch AV which has one of the best Zero day protection .

Last edited:

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
To be 100% honest, I would choose none of the above - as one member states free is no good. Get a good quality security suite that does it all, not avast for this, then Comodo for that.

Reactions: Piteko21

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Avast Free = lots of features and even you may not receive a Deepscreen due to incompatible hardware virtualization support then Hardened mode is your another support. + With a fine tune Comdoo Firewall then everything is good to go.

If I'm not mistaken its untick by default so be sure to check that as its a vital protection

Meanwhile Avira Free is purely an AV with their Cloud Protection as their backbone so better make Comodo Firewall configuration to be maximize on what areas are lack.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello @Sloth. I wish I'd read this thread back in 2008, at a time Windows was left in favor of linux; but that would require getting into a time machine which would in turn mean all these trial and error experiences each of your friends & co-members here have brought with us might not have ever happened..,:confused: lol!:p The good news is that our time machines are in the shop being fixed!:D
I have used both Avira & Avast!, and my own personal choice between these (2) reputable (& free) alternatives, sorry @Sr. Normal, would be Avast!. Realize, as I say this, it is at risk of death by Sr. Normal's Mother-In-Law (Lol!;)) though we must surely guide you safely toward the proper 'boat' that shall hold back the waters better as you make your crossing with Windows over the River Styx!:D

..then again, I happen to have an Avira Pro Key if you're interested.:rolleyes: I've not tested the Pro version, & have only read it has similar protection as their free. *Imagine Clint Eastwood's voice as Dirty Harry: "..go ahead.:cool: Do you feel lucky, Kid!!?o_O"

Edit: *smiling* I know we'll be discussing the following points later (on your security configuration thread) but if you truly aren't feeling 'lucky' over zero-day exploits, whichever Av choice you make, here are (2) free options you might also consider adding for real "Magnum Force":D protection:
  1. https://www.malwarebytes.org/antiexploit/
  2. http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?DownloadSandboxie

Last edited:
S

Sr. Normal

Hello @Sloth.
I have used both Avira & Avast!, and my own personal choice between these (2) reputable (& free) alternatives, sorry @Sr. Normal, would be Avast!. Realize, as I say this, it is at risk of death by Sr. Normal's Mother-In-Law (Lol!;)) though we must surely guide you safely toward the proper 'boat' that shall hold back the waters better as you make your crossing with Windows over the River Styx!:D

LOL my friend :D ... but my avatar says it will fall fighting :cool:

Avira Pro has a great reputation

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I would go avast free with comodo firewall, since I've used it in the past!

Avira taps on to enhance windows firewall so if you are using anything but the windows firewall, Avira would say that firewall protection is down and would ask you to fix it. Very irritating IMO.

Avira also is slightly more outdated in their UI whereas avast just recently updated it.

Avast also offers many more features than Avira like browser clean up, network security scan and outdated software scans. To me these seem like bulk but to you this may be something that you want to include in your overall protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.