Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Hello!
What do you have to say on this battle?
Which AV can protect a user better in real world (detection & removal, both known and zero day malware as a result), Eset Nod32 7 or Avast free with moderate hardened mode enabled & pup enabled?

Reactions: nissimezra

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
If you do have the money, you should buy Emsisoft Internet Security Pack. If not, you should use Avast. Why spend money on something that is lesser protective than Emsisoft (the king) and more protective than something free?

Reactions: Nikos751

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Ok. Now a days people keep mentioning about Avast's Hardened mode. But problem is most of them checking unknown malware with hardened mode enabled and getting Avast pop-up.

There is a reason why hardened mode is disabled by default.

It's nothing but sort of Default Denial. If you run 100 new legitimate programs most of them will be detected by Avast hardened mode. So whats the point of it? When you are installing a new program and you got that pop-up saying it's harmful, you will add that to exclusion anyway. If default denial is good then Comodo is the no. 1 Internet security.
Ok. Now a days people keep mentioning about Avast's Hardened mode. But problem is most of them checking unknown malware with hardened mode enabled and getting Avast pop-up.

It's nothing but sort of Default Denial. If you run 100 new legitimate programs most of them will be detected by Avast hardened mode. So whats the point of it? When you are installing a new program and you got that pop-up saying it's harmful, you will add that to exclusion anyway. If default denial is good then Comodo is the no. 1 Internet security.
You have some valid points in what you say but to my view:
Comodo is buggy, heavier and with a bad av engine at the time.
As for hardened mode, I mention about moderate mode, not aggresive. Till now and for a week or so moderate mode have not causes any problems to me

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013

Have you tested that behaviour you said about new legitimate apps? I dont think file age is the only and most important criterion for avast to flag it as suspicious.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Have you tested that behaviour you said about new legitimate apps? I dont think file age is the only and most important criterion for avast to flag it as suspicious.

You are right. Not only age. It's when Avast don't know the app. For example I use "SQL Workbench". It's completely safe program. But every time it's blocked in Hardened Mode. I deal with lots of Apps which normal user does not use. That what I am against Hardened mode.

Reactions: Nikos751

CapeBuffalo

Level 2
Verified
May 12, 2014
Better is subjective when two top av run against each other, thats like say a graphic card running a game a 120 fps is better than one running at 90 fps (aka no visible difference)

PlayerFromTheITtic

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 19, 2014
Hello everyone!

It's pretty hard to choose between the both of them, they both have very good features and can be very efficient against malware!

• ESET is a bit lighter, costs less hard drive space (around 30/40MB for signature files, congrats!) and its HIPS is quite well made
  • Avast! is free, has a quite effective Hardened mode and its DeepScreen has been improved since the first release of the 9th version
We'll see if it'll change with ESET 8 VS Avast! 10 ;P

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
You are right. Not only age. It's when Avast don't know the app. For example I use "SQL Workbench". It's completely safe program. But every time it's blocked in Hardened Mode. I deal with lots of Apps which normal user does not use. That what I am against Hardened mode.
I see.. Typically moderate option should not bother the user with such apps but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.