Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It seems that the majority of you agreed with us, and chose Avast! Free Antivirus as your pick by a wide margin.

upload_2014-7-24_13-41-30.png

Avast picked up over 47% of the overall vote. It's fast, it's free, and while it definitely has its quirks and annoyances, it scores highly in both AV Comparatives' and AV-Test's scores, keeps system utilization down, and doesn't cost a cent for great all-around protection.

Second place went to ESET's NOD32, a popular lightweight antivirus tool that I still hear championed loudly from all corners, especially system builders and people who want a good tool from a reputable firm that's light on system resources and doesn't miss threats. It picked up 19% of the overall vote.

Third place went to Kaspersky Antivirus with over 13% of the votes cast, a premium tool that earned AV Comparatives' Product of the Year award.

Fourth place went to BitDefender, with close to 12% of the overall vote. It's a simple, no-nonsense antivirus tool that won't confuse you with options and just does its job quietly.

Bringing up the rear was Avira Antivirus, with 8% of the votes cast.

Find out more: http://lifehacker.com/five-best-desktop-antivirus-applications-1607557993/1609811791/

Byte

Level 1
Verified
Jul 13, 2014
Out of those 5 products, I pick avast! free. I'd probably pick Qihoo IS if we're talking about all free products (even though I still haven't tried it yet).

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
If Avast wouldn't be that heavy at the current time, I would prefer it over most other AVs because it offers good protection combined with the fact that its free. There are better options and less buggy but they are not free.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Invalid poll
Free antivirus and paid versions should be considered separately
:D

Completely agree.

Generally Free Antivirus will have more popularity because users don't have to pay for it :p

There should be two polls

One having these 5

1. Avast Free
2. AVG Free
3. Avira Free
4. 360 IS
5. Panda Cloud Free

Another
1. Bitdefender
2. Kaspersky
3. Emsisoft
4. ESET
5. Norton

Then the fight will be more interesting ;)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The Poll is in relation to the LifeHacker post, not about 360 or Panda. ;)

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Avast! Free
Avira Free
ESET NOD32 Antivirus

Kaspersky Antivirus
Bitdefender Free Antivirus (The AV I hate)

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014

A lot of people are so arrogant about Malware on linux (it is safe and they are so sure ... so on ...) that they will end as a part of a botnet or something related.

the funny part is that users have to something like this ... New and unstable vs Old and stable (vulnerable at all exploits). Since BackTrack, Kai has all that you need, nowadays you have metasploit and armitage (noobs dream).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.