Avast Free vs AVG Free vs Avira Free Antivirus for Windows

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
Avast with costum install(web,fielshield and NG). They have greatly improved the deepscreen detection over the last Months and the Cloud got improved too. avira have the best signatures from this 3 and maybe the best offline engine but when it comes to stop zeroday threads u are lost with avira free. cant say anything about avg,never used it or realy liked it.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
  • Real World System Impact - least Avira, most AVG
  • User Interface - depends on the user (to me AVG)
  • Level of Protection and Features (eg: Antivirus , Firewall, Behavior Blocker) - from top - Avast, AVG, Avira
  • Overall Winner - Avast (but AVG is very close)

akuigla

Level 1
Verified
Oct 29, 2013
This is ,for me,choosing between bad,ugly and worst!
I tried all of them.
AVG is a joke.
Avast made 7 times BSOD to my pc.
Avira too much slowed down my pc .

akuigla

Level 1
Verified
Oct 29, 2013
So I heard.
But,something like that should never happened.
Another thing about Avast-they bugged me every day to buy their premium service,or this or that,how many new infections are discovered every day. Bla,bla ,bla...

akuigla

Level 1
Verified
Oct 29, 2013
I dislike all paid or premium versions.Any protection which has paid level holds back some features and is not good for me.

Now,I am using 360 Total security.It is free and they don't hold back some features,like paid anti virus.
360 Total security is full blood,premium protection software!No pressure to buy anything,no need for registration like all above mentioned programs.

By the way,I believe all software which have mandatory registration,sell our emails to third parties!

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
I used all 3 and i can say that Avast free (modified settings) is the clear winner
If you enable PUP detection and Hardened mode Avast is really a good choice.
Avira has good signatures and nothing else.
AVG has improved a lot and has the best interface of most AVs on the market.

But as other users wrote, nothing can beat 360 free or paid (except Eset).

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In such observation, we need to conclude that a component must blend well from a traditional way of AV have (signatures and heuristics) therefore a cloud/BB/hardening protection is final resort option and Avast so far managed to meet the category.

AVG is followed with their ID (Identity) Protection which is more to be BB and great follow from their signatures meanwhile Avira still relying on detection capabilities and may provide inconsistency.

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
This is ,for me,choosing between bad,ugly and worst!
I tried all of them.
AVG is a joke.
Avast made 7 times BSOD to my pc.
Avira too much slowed down my pc .
AVG isnt a joke it is just underrated. its actualy quit nice.
well,its most likly ur buggy windows that gives bsod or some incompatible programs,not avast. indeed,avast is realy,realy stable.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
For truly multi layer protection most importantly webscan feature, AVAST Free my obvious pick. Avast is simply unbreachable. AVG is good but a bit high false positive. Avira Free is really weak for heavy internet users due to its lack of webscan feature. Me and one of my friend got infected while using Avira Free.

Reactions: Hangtooth

Emers

May 12, 2015
on AV-Comparatives and AV-Test Antivirus testing labs Avira have better test results compare to AVG and Avast

Ho8nwVl.jpg

FxuWv6G.png

gOhOZ6m.png

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
The best method for choosing an AV is to test it yourself to get a"feel" of it as it were.

I did that`s why I chose AVG.What it missed on the download it nabbed on execution it also felt light on a system with only 1 GB of RAM.

Solid and reliable Antivirus Very Good.:cool:

Regards Eck:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.