Avast Free vs Avira Free

• Thread starter Deleted Member 333v73x
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Hello everyone, which one do you think is better? Personally I would choose and use Avast because Avire has terrible 0-day protection and heuristics but what do you think, and does anyone know why their file scanner is called Luke Filewalker?

Last edited by a moderator:

duncan402

Level 2
Verified
Jul 18, 2015
Okay, Avast is great except the GUI. I guess it will have poor usability score in the future AVTEST assessment. Personally, I hate any softs that use material design or metro style GUI. Too many configuration was burried so deep within the GUI. The micro update works perfectly.
Avira free is so cluttered today. The web protection provided as an addon (avira browser security) is the worst feature of avira so far. Avira free used to protect my PC and my favourite av for about 3 or 4 years ago.

Last edited:
L

LabZero

Thread author
Personally I would choose and use Avast because Avire has terrible 0-day protection
Unfortunately 50% of anti-virus currently on the market fails to detect and block zero-day malware, this means that in most cases, computers running those products may be vulnerable to exploits.
After two weeks of the discovery of zero day the result change: detection rates approaching 60%....

Additional security programs (MBAE for example) may protect (or at least limit the damage) from 0-Day malware, but it must have the same security companies to implement these technologies to block 0-Day attacks.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Unfortunately 50% of anti-virus currently on the market fails to detect and block zero-day malware, this means that in most cases, computers running those products may be vulnerable to exploits.
After two weeks of the discovery of zero day the result change: detection rates approaching 60%....

Additional security programs (MBAE for example) may protect (or at least limit the damage) from 0-Day malware, but it must have the same security companies to implement these technologies to block 0-Day attacks.
I designed my configuration to block all types of malware, check it out :)

Reactions: Rishi

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Avast for me, I like the option of not running at scan everytime malware is detected on the system. Avira however forces a quick scan on you when it detects malware. Avast just quickly blocks the malware, informs you with a beep and if you want to check if your system is compromised you can just run a quick scan manually.

Also I find Avira's UI to be very outdated, Avast on the other hand just updated their UI not too long ago and I find it refreshing to look at. Further more there are features that give a better protection overall for inexperienced users such as hardening for Avast so that even if you are clueless about malware it goes a long way to prevent it from running on your system.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.