Avast Free vs Avira Free

• Thread starter Deleted Member 333v73x
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Hello everyone, which one do you think is better? Personally I would choose and use Avast because Avire has terrible 0-day protection and heuristics but what do you think, and does anyone know why their file scanner is called Luke Filewalker?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
The suite I'd used prior to Norton was Avast! Premier. Additionally I'd understood (at that time) Avast Free provided equal protection to it's paid counterpart plus their hardened mode provides (imho) substantial preventative measures.
I'd last used Avira Free on our XP system (2013-14) before replacing it with Comodo.;)
Perhaps it may be time to give Avira another spin, but for now past experience leans me toward Avast!:D

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Avira has better signatures and adware detection but that's about it... As for Luke Filewalker, be better as Anakin Filewalker. Better name, better character, better Jedi. Even in the end of his life, he became one of the few (if not the only) to come back from the dark side. I'm a bit rusty with my Star Wars.

If I'm not mistaken, Avira has no web protection. Avast has very good web protection with many other tools handy to protect your computer. Performance wise, Avira is better. Recent versions of Avast have been harsh on HDD for some reason. Avast Free AV with Comodo Firewall is a very good combo. Avast also a bit heavier on CPU than Avira has been however on my computer, Avira is buggy. No one else seems to have that problem as far as I know so I wouldn't worry about that part.

My vote goes to Avast for being tried and proven over years of use.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
I would personally go with Avast Free.
The free version of Avast's security product boasts a wider range of security features compared to Avira, which directly translates to greater overall amount of protection.
Avira might have slightly better signatures, however it lacks security components that Avast Free offers.

However, like other members noted, you should make sure that you customize the installation of Avast in order to prevent bloatware from being installed.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I vote: AVIRA its the lightest (overall) free Antivirus, I used. its like have a windows defender with much better signatures. I find the custom installation to enhance the free version (no installing of launcher)

To less experienced users I suggest Avast though, as its the better product in terms of zero day and additional defense options.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.