Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
Avast free vs Bitdefender free for newbies about security. You can sugges other free products that are easy and protect well. Only antivirus.

Reactions: marg and Šovelén

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
If they absolutely don't know anything ("Hey, what's quarantine? What's scanning? What's definitions?") then Bitdefender without a doubt. If they know basic settings and to tell the difference between false positives than Avast!. I'll have to vote Bitdefender here, but Avast! is a much greater antivirus with those with basic security knowledge.

Update: See below post. I know longer reccommend Bitdefender. +1 to Avast!

Last edited:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I would use Avast, Bitdefender has thousands of false positives.
BitDefender has more false positives than any other single engine AV, so I don't recommend it.
The free version is stripped down to no features.

Avast is the obvious winner, most popular, most trusted has the largest user-base and offers more features for free.

Enjoy!! :D

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
This best antivirus for newbie thread needs to expand.

If I were to slap on an antivirus for my mom, it would be ESET.
If I were to slap on an antivirus for my dad, it would be Avast! w/ Hardened Mode

Why?

My mom is very cautious and as you saw from that hilarious status update I posted, she thought the ESET HIPS popup was a virus and almost did a system restore until I explained to her. ESET w/ automatic mode is very lightweight, which she wants, with auto-scan, auto-update, and no configuring needed. It won't disturb her when she uses the net.

My dad never downloads stuff, and doesn't care about more popups. Avast Free with Hardened mode on is geared towards people like that. It generates more popups, blocks downloads and changes, and is more locked-down than ESET.

(When I want to get to the point I start to lash out great big posts like this :p :D)

technology

Level 7
Verified
Jul 5, 2013
If they absolutely don't know anything ("Hey, what's quarantine? What's scanning? What's definitions?") then Bitdefender without a doubt. If they know basic settings and to tell the difference between false positives than Avast!. I'll have to vote Bitdefender here, but Avast! is a much greater antivirus with those with basic security knowledge.

Update: See below post. I know longer reccommend Bitdefender. +1 to Avast!
+1

Reactions: Davidov

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
If not for Quihoo IS I would be using Avast. Its really good at PUP detection when
PUPs are enabled. Quihoo is not good at
PUPs.:(

D

Deleted member 2913

In my opinion, for newbies both are good.
Currently running Bitdefender free on 2, Win 7 64 systems for quite a long time.
No probs, no logs button prob now for a long time & no FPs yet.

I voted for BD as for "newbies" its little better than Avast.
Good protection with no additional softwares, etc...

D

Deleted member 2913

Avast + hardened mode for newbies :cool:
There are 2 options for hardened mode.
Whats the difference between the 2 & which would be better for newbies without much probs?
If a program is excluded in hardened mode, is it excluded from AV realtime scan too or it will be scanned by the realtime AV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.