Avast have new tools: Webcam Shield feature & Avast Driver Updater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

L S

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014

End webcam spying – for good – with Webcam Shield and Avast Premier

Essentially, with Webcam Shield you have total control over what (and who!) uses your camera. This means you can now force any app to ask your permission before it can access your webcam.

Simply put, Webcam Shield promises to:

• Protect Privacy
  • Give you total control over your webcam
  • Help prevent blackmail
With webcams now embedded in so many devices, it’s never been more important to protect yourself and your family from prying eyes and those with unknown motives.

& +

Automatically fix and update over 127,000 drivers for peak PC performance
ico01.png
Less crashing
ico02.png
Faster browsing
ico03.png
Better graphics
ico04.png
Richer audio
ico05.png
Fewer device problems

Print, scan, import files. Play crystal clear videos and make crackle-free voice calls. Avast Driver Updater auto-scans and updates your drivers to reduce and prevent problems with:

Printers and scanners, Photo and video cameras, Headphones and speakers, Mouse and keyboards, Monitors and Wifi routers, and other external devices.

MORE : Avast Driver Updater & Scanner | For Peak PC Performance

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Yippee! Another gread sounding, good advertisable, but utterly useless new "feature". Focus on real protection Avast, not on misleading users giving them a feeling of having more protection now...

L S

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Just take a piece of tape and tape over your webcam. No worry of driver issue, no worry of corrupted driver, no worry of webcam driver being hacked
Well ....... My webcam have a piece of tape for years now - (for real) - ....... ;)
....... but if I have corrupted driver or some issues - of course I will solve them in one way or another. :cool: :)

D

Deleted member 65228

Webcam shield is nothing new really .... is it ? I think a lot of the other av's have been doing it for a while now.
You'd be surprised how lacking some popular security products really are when it comes to dynamic prevention of malicious operations. For webcam access specifically, I believe Qihoo and Emsisoft have support for dynamic protection, and now obviously Avast. I doubt there'd be more than 2 other security solutions with the feature which are widely used. :unsure:

The safest option will be to do what @Marko :) and @frogboy do though, or to cover the web-cam with tape, instead of relying on security software for this though.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
You'd be surprised how lacking some popular security products really are when it comes to dynamic prevention of malicious operations. For webcam access specifically, I believe Qihoo and Emsisoft have support for dynamic protection, and now obviously Avast. I doubt there'd be more than 2 other security solutions with the feature which are widely used. :unsure:

The safest option will be to do what @Marko :) and @frogboy do though, or to cover the web-cam with tape, instead of relying on security software for this though.

I know Kaspersky has it (well in the Total Security version) and i believe Bitdefender has it too so that will probably be your 2 others, as always, my nose is bothering me so i will need to go look at some others, lol.

D

Deleted member 65228

I know Kaspersky has it (well in the Total Security version) and i believe Bitdefender has it too so that will probably be your 2 others, as always, my nose is bothering me so i will need to go look at some others, lol.
Hahaha. I cannot even think of any other two others which have it off the top of my head, maybe that is it then? Let me know if you know of other products with it. I know Avira and Malwarebytes definitely don't have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.