Avast internet security 2016 vs Norton security standard

toto

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 15, 2014
I have recently bought a new laptop and I installed norton security standard version no backup
And yesterday I got a new license from the avast giveaway that was posted here on MT
I like how little impact has norton on my system but I don't know if it is good enough for detecting PUP and PUA, and this system might not be always connected to the internet (around 80% of the time),
so do you guys think that avast is a better solution or should I keep norton

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
I vote for Norton.
If you change SONAR to agressive you will have better protection against zero-day threats even offline.( despite Sonar requires on-line connection for better heuristic real-time protection. )
Norton is lighter, Its improved performace and, I think if you are 80%of the time not connectec to internet, norton gives you a very good layer of protection :)

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
this system might not be always connected to the internet (around 80% of the time),

So let's consider the offline case.:)

In terms of detection: Personally I think that compared with avast, the detection of Norton is more dependent on the cloud. Particularly, in the offline case, Norton cannot detect "WS.Malware.2" and "WS.Reputation.1", which are corresponding to the emerging threats and security risks that have not been classified.
WS.Malware.2 | Symantec
WS.Reputation.1 | Symantec
So, I think avast should have a better detection ratio than Norton in the offline case.

Sonar v.s. DeepScreen & Hardened Mode:
DeepScreen and the Hardened Mode of avast rely on the reputation data stored in the cloud.
DeepScreen, Hardened Mode
In our tests, it seems that the local module of the Hardened Mode would take a default-allow policy when it cannot connect to the cloud.
What was worse, any application that is allowed by the Hardened Mode in the offline case will still be allowed when your network connection is resumed before you reboot your computer.
I have not tested DeepScreen, but I am afraid it may have the same property in the offline status...
The logic of Sonar (Norton) is different from DeepScreen & Hardened Mode (avast). As shown in the link above, when DS & HM is enabled, avast will first lookup the cloud, then take its decision (allow, analysis, or block). By contrast, it seems that, Sonar could prevent an application as soon as that application has any malicious behavior defined in the local database. Of course, Sonar could communicate with the cloud to be more aggressive, but it can still work in the offline case. Furthermore, tests done in several years ago showed that some malware bypassing Sonar in the offline case would still trigger Sonar immediately when the network connection is resumed.
So, here I like Sonar better.

Last edited:
L

LabZero

We are talking about two historical products, both offer excellent protection level.
Avast IS offers Safe Zone and a Sandbox.
Norton has not these features even though it still provides solid protection.

I have personally experienced a problem about Norton Sonar Protection which, I discovered, it is due to the action of the System Restore function of my Windows 7.
Unfortunately in this case the solution is to use the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool. As a precaution, Symantec suggests disabling "Tamper protection" before launching the creation of restore points and to rehabilitate afterwards. This reduces the possibility that Norton Security remains damaged during the creation of information required by the system restore.

I solved permanently disabling the Restore points that do not use because of my backup images.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
We are talking about two historical products, both offer excellent protection level.
Avast IS offers Safe Zone and a Sandbox.
Norton has not these features even though it still provides solid protection.

I have personally experienced a problem about Norton Sonar Protection which, I discovered, it is due to the action of the System Restore function of my Windows 7.
Unfortunately in this case the solution is to use the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool. As a precaution, Symantec suggests disabling "Tamper protection" before launching the creation of restore points and to rehabilitate afterwards. This reduces the possibility that Norton Security remains damaged during the creation of information required by the system restore.

I solved permanently disabling the Restore points that do not use because of my backup images.
I have contacted Norton multiple times about what you just written over several years but no improvements. :(

@toto i think you would be good with either product it is up to you to choose i think. ;)

toto

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 15, 2014
o let's consider the offline case.:)

In terms of detection: Personally I think that compared with avast, the detection of Norton is more dependent on the cloud. Particularly, in the offline case, Norton cannot detect "WS.Malware.2" and "WS.Reputation.1", which are corresponding to the emerging threats and security risks that have not been classified.
WS.Malware.2 | Symantec
WS.Reputation.1 | Symantec
So, I think avast should have a better detection ratio than Norton in the offline case.

Sonar v.s. DeepScreen & Hardened Mode:
DeepScreen and the Hardened Mode of avast rely on the reputation data stored in the cloud.
DeepScreen, Hardened Mode
In our tests, it seems that the local module of the Hardened Mode would take a default-allow policy when it cannot connect to the cloud.
What was worse, any application that is allowed by the Hardened Mode in the offline case will still be allowed when your network connection is resumed before you reboot your computer.
I have not tested DeepScreen, but I am afraid it may have the same property in the offline status...
The logic of Sonar (Norton) is different from DeepScreen & Hardened Mode (avast). As shown in the link above, when DS & HM is enabled, avast will first lookup the cloud, then take its decision (allow, analysis, or block). By contrast, it seems that, Sonar could prevent an application as soon as that application has any malicious behavior defined in the local database. Of course, Sonar could communicate with the cloud to be more aggressive, but it can still work in the offline case. Furthermore, tests done in several years ago showed that some malware bypassing Sonar in the offline case would still trigger Sonar immediately when the network connection is resumed.
So, here I like Sonar better.

Thank you very much very helpful and interesting
what do you think of norton protection against PUP because I find it "not good" compared to avast

Reactions: Online_Sword

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
what do you think of norton protection against PUP

Sorry, I know little about this. I have not read any literal or watched any video review on the capability of anti-PUP.

We know that avast has an option of detecting PUP, but Norton has not. However, maybe some PUP could be blocked by the Download Insight module of Norton or Sonar in the run time. I should admit that I am not sure about this.

ESET and Emsisoft are often said to have a good capability of anti-PUP, especially ESET. So if you have problems of PUP, maybe you can consider to use the on-demand scanners of ESET and Emsisoft along with Norton:
Free Virus Scan | ESET Online Scanner | ESET
Emsisoft Free Emergency Kit: Portable malware scanner | Free removal of Viruses, Bots, Spyware, Keyloggers and Trojans

Unchecky and AdwCleaner should also be good tools in this field. I have not tried them, but many MT members are using these tools.:)
Unchecky - Keeps your checkboxes clear
AdwCleaner

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
after many video testing avast, norton and eset,I must say that Eset is better in PUP detection followed by Avast and Norton.
But, if you change some settings in Norton, same to Avast because avast has PUP disable by deffault, you can have better PUP detection in Symantec and avast products.
I tested Symantec Endpoint against adware and is average ( but improving) compared to AV industry.

you should consider add some malware scanners like: Eset online scanner, great in PUP detection.

toto

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 15, 2014
after many video testing avast, norton and eset,I must say that Eset is better in PUP detection followed by Avast and Norton.
But, if you change some settings in Norton, same to Avast because avast has PUP disable by deffault, you can have better PUP detection in Symantec and avast products.
I tested Symantec Endpoint against adware and is average ( but improving) compared to AV industry.

you should consider add some malware scanners like: Eset online scanner, great in PUP detection.

I have used eset nod32 antivirus 8 on my home desktop and I liked it a lot but my license expired and I cant't afford buying it at this time when I have license for avast and norton ,
PS I will use eset online scanner thanks :D

Reactions: Piteko21

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Avast IS definitely claimed the important categories from features and protection as it incorporates the overall product however doesn't mean generally effective.

Those secondary components are still rely on main concepts like gathering from Cloud to obtain accurate results.

However in terms of simplicity yet straightforward + user friendly then NSS/NIS is one to be considered. Sonar (BB) acts accurately and precisely on those possible suspicious programs. Their cloud reputation maintains the pace at all.

Wordward

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
If anyone wants a license for Avast Security 2016, P.M. me. I have one from the recent Computer Bild promo. I'm currently running AVG Pro 2016, and I can use Comcast Norton Security for free. I like Avast, but I like the other two just a little more. Plus it's Christmas. :)

Reactions: frogboy

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I would rather pay for Norton Security, optimised database with decent signatures, powerful behaviour-based SONAR detection, built-in Firewall, Web and Browser protection.

I can get Avast Free + Sandboxie for FREE that provides a better level of protection, combined, and all without bloatware from the Avast Suite/Premier.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Tried Avast! IS form the giveaway. Great protection. Silent and not heavy on resource usage. But it slows down the performance. I feel the lagginess of my system. Removed it and the system is back to normal.

Tried Norton. Love Sonar but expect quite a no. of FPs.

I'll go for Norton if I were to choose. Avast! seem pretty much bloated on IS to me plus I don't really like their UI.

Reactions: asingha94 and toto

Raider Red

Level 2
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
I use both but Norton seems a bit faster and more stable. Wife and I do a lot of business on line using Norton Security...never a single hickup. Good smart firewall and password (Identity Safe) manager. They're both safe and good IMHO.

Reactions: toto and frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.