Battle Avast Internet Security 6 vs Norton Internet Securtiy 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
Both of the suites use roughly about the same amount of ram but what do you guys prefer to use. Avasts signature updates are very slow in comparison to Nortons Pulse updates, though Avast has a built in sandbox for those it does not have a signature for and a sexy voice !

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
RE: Avast Internet Security vs Norton Internet Securtiy

darkelixa said:
Both of the suites use roughly about the same amount of ram but what do you guys prefer to use. Avasts signature updates are very slow in comparison to Nortons Pulse updates, though Avast has a built in sandbox for those it does not have a signature for and a sexy voice !

in my opinion; i choose Norton Internet Security, but if we know ,what we do on machine (can thought and have malware knowledge). we just need FREE AV with other combo like comodo firewall or windows firewall.

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011

Never liked the free av's. They usually only have a few updates a day while a paid product will have alot of updates during a day for better protection

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011

darkelixa said:
Never liked the free av's. They usually only have a few updates a day while a paid product will have alot of updates during a day for better protection

yes. free or paid have a lot difference. paid is company giving first priority to customer for update new database. but, i see on avast free or IS, not getting difference about database update. not just avast, such as AVG, or avira (all database between free or paid is same)
difference is just have more feature on paid version.

D

Deleted member 178

you didnt used Comodo ^^ it update almost every 15mn ^^

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011

avast update their database 2 times in 1 day :)

if you all know about malware and whatever about that and you know what you do on your machine (such as installing a software) you don't need HIPS.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011

darkelixa said:
Two times a day is pretty slack thou for a paid version

i wait for NIS 2012 FINAL, i'll do test versus; AVAST IS vs NIS.
but, avast free is good detection rate. will more great ,if you combo it with mbam pro or comodo firewall :D
don't waste your money for buying Antivirus or Security Suites, on the net having great combo or standalone AV's (if you know how to use it and know what you do on your PC)

V

Vextor

Avast vs NIS. In an actual test, based on malware signatures, and Zero-Day Protection, it would be Norton, as Avast only has a sandbox and it's guards are lacking. Their firewall isn't that good either. I might do a head to head test when NIS 2012 FINAL comes out.

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011

As much as I like Avast [and I respect the company a lot for providing one of the most fully-featured free products], I'd have to pick Norton, although it's a close call.

Norton have come a long way in the last 2 years, and although the footprints are similar, Norton just feels lighter and more responsive. It's also really compatible and I haven't experienced any conflicts with other software. Haven't seen much of the silent firewall [it seems that the name is fitting]. Outright whole product dynamic tests do give Norton the advantage of better detection and it does it fairly quietly and unobtrusively. Update speed is second to none.

Avast is now a sleek and polished package which combines strength with enough visual flair. The guards are plentiful and although the options to customize their behavior are exhaustive, it feels like they have a way to go to still. Cannot comment on the firewall, because I switch it off for better compatibility with other Firewall/HIPS software. Love the idea of SafeZone [proprietary browser technology should increase protection] and Sandboxing [better usability than BufferZone in some aspects].

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011

Avast is good enough, and it is free. That is all it takes to please me.

Linuxfever

Jan 11, 2011

Avast Internet Security has some really cool features,the new AutoSandbox addition is very useful and brings a '+' of security, however I'm a really big fan of Norton's Reputation Service and Download/File Insight, will go with NIS 2011.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I used Norton Internet Security before (90 days trail) I must say the features are great. +1 on their Download Insight feature and Sonar. During the RAM consumption its light and I didn't notice a slowdowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.